Log book interface updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Device uses HTTPS to access web site. Hence the data is encrypted.

Yeah, but I traced the communication with the USB device / filesystem (hehe - I love Linux) and the data is already encoded in some form as it comes from the device. Definitely not cleartext XML as I had hoped.

Block the SSL port, does it fall back to non ssl?

I'm not tracing the web traffic. I am tracing the traffic that's on the USB bus between the computer and the device. That's where I noticed that the dive data is not transfered in clear text :-(

Has anyone tried to read the code in the syncsda jar file . Copying the jar file into a real drive and renomming it in *.zip might allow to have access to some of the code. I am not a java programmer therefore I am not sure if jar files can be encrypted. Seems to me, syncsda jar has to have direct access at some point to the SDA database.

If would be COOL to have one program which could collect and disply data from all the dive computers on the market...

I asked already uemis if they wanted to help the project, answer "NO".

Based on lack of resources this answer is understandable. It took them days to fix their web site. They didn't even bother to notify registered users about their planned website (which is critical for downloading the data) outage either.

So sad, this could have been a great product but lack of resources behind makes it borderline usable at this point. Maybe owners might decide to try and sell it to a company with more resources to make this a success.

What is the obsession with downloading post dive data? I have always pondered the question. Personally, I rinse all my gear, including computer, then I am off to another activity...

What is the obsession with downloading post dive data? I have always pondered the question. Personally, I rinse all my gear, including computer, then I am off to another activity...

That's nice, Scott. Glad this works for you. After 1000+ dives maybe you don't bother about logging them anymore.

I for one like to log and annotate my dives. Details about the dive site, things I've seen, things that went well and things that didn't. As a learning experience. Now I know that people will tell me that I can do this with a paper log book. But I personally prefer to do this on a computer. And the dive computer that I bought claims to support downloading the dives to any computer (Windows, Mac, Linux). And on the first trip that I took with my new uemis computer I wasn't able to do that and that to me is quite frustrating - especially after spending $2k on this toy.

What's funny about this is that my previous dive computer (a used Suunto Gekko that can be found for $130 on ebay) can download things with a trivial hack - no problem. So all my previous dives are logged and annotated.

So no, I cannot recommend this dive computer to others and yes, I am contemplating selling mine.

If it works for what you want to do, awesome. That doesn't invalidate the fact that for many of us it doesn't. And it doesn't change the fact that uemis clearly seem overwhelmed with what they are promising to do.

That's nice, Scott. Glad this works for you. After 1000+ dives maybe you don't bother about logging them anymore.

I for one like to log and annotate my dives. Details about the dive site, things I've seen, things that went well and things that didn't. As a learning experience. Now I know that people will tell me that I can do this with a paper log book. But I personally prefer to do this on a computer. And the dive computer that I bought claims to support downloading the dives to any computer (Windows, Mac, Linux). And on the first trip that I took with my new uemis computer I wasn't able to do that and that to me is quite frustrating - especially after spending $2k on this toy.

What's funny about this is that my previous dive computer (a used Suunto Gekko that can be found for $130 on ebay) can download things with a trivial hack - no problem. So all my previous dives are logged and annotated.

So no, I cannot recommend this dive computer to others and yes, I am contemplating selling mine.

If it works for what you want to do, awesome. That doesn't invalidate the fact that for many of us it doesn't. And it doesn't change the fact that uemis clearly seem overwhelmed with what they are promising to do.

Gotcha. I just had to post that once in my SB career. I lot of tec divers prefer the data generated by this product. Just an idea...

SENSUS Ultra Dive Data Recorder by ReefNet - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom