Log book interface updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnBhutch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Could you please tell me when and if the online logbook will be updated? I understand that the trimix update was perhaps more then you expected it to be. But the log book has been a Beta site at best since day one. At the very least could you release the information to allow the Uemis to Sync with other 3rd party software to be released? I have one of the top 3 most expensive dive computers on the market and I am very disappointed to tell my friends when they ask if they should get one that "No, they do not support them very well."

Could you please tell me when and if the online logbook will be updated? I understand that the trimix update was perhaps more then you expected it to be. But the log book has been a Beta site at best since day one. At the very least could you release the information to allow the Uemis to Sync with other 3rd party software to be released? I have one of the top 3 most expensive dive computers on the market and I am very disappointed to tell my friends when they ask if they should get one that "No, they do not support them very well."

Completely agree. The online logbook is a joke. The functionality can only be described as "absolute bare minimum" and even that is not available when there are server issues - just as it happened last week while I was on a dive trip.

What I like about the online logbook is that it allows the update of the SDA database through a real keyboard, the possibility of sharing online profile.

What I don't like is that we all depend on external servers, internet connection and this works well as long as there's no problem. Unfortunately, last week there was this huge sync issue and it was just a perfect example that people get stranded when internet sync fails.

I think it is highly desirable for the SDA community that UEMIS
- provides a way to save the SDA database and uploads it back to the SDA without having an internet connection
- provides a way to share data online and offline between SDAs (considering some of us had replacement unit)
- documents the exchange format and/or develops a real software.

To me, I think those development are more critical than having the Trimix update available (which btw has been again postponed according the UEMIS website)

Perhaps a more reliable process would be a logbook that synchronzes locally, then if the user wishes to synchronize online allow the synchronization to take place between the local compy and the online logbook. Then server outages become less noticable.

I have one of the top 3 most expensive dive computers on the market and I am very disappointed to tell my friends when they ask if they should get one that "No, they do not support them very well."

I have to disagree with this. I've found their support for the device to be on par with the best of them. As for software features: To my knowledge, the off-line logging feature has been a 'we'll look into it' at best, not a promise. That only actual issue would be their inability to provide the trimix update on schedule. As for the web interface user friendlyness, while there's room for improvement, I don't think it's that bad, compared to, say, SDM.

Which doesn't mean that I don't agree that an offline feature is an important feature.

I have to disagree with this. I've found their support for the device to be on par with the best of them. As for software features: To my knowledge, the off-line logging feature has been a 'we'll look into it' at best, not a promise. That only actual issue would be their inability to provide the trimix update on schedule. As for the web interface user friendlyness, while there's room for improvement, I don't think it's that bad, compared to, say, SDM.

Which doesn't mean that I don't agree that an offline feature is an important feature.

I agree, I've found their user support to be very responsive. In one instance, they did not reply for a couple of days, but that was when I'd sent the ticket in on a Friday. They're a small company, and I don't expect them to be working over the weekend.

Overall, I'm still impressed with the SDA. It's easy to navigate, and the display is visible all the time in all types of diving that I do. There are some things I would have displayed differently. One of these days, when I have some time, I'll compile a list and send it to them.

I would like a local logbook function where I could save dives and dive information directly to my computer. I do like the ability to save to myUEMIS, and I like being able to do that from a Mac.

Ron

We are mixing a couple of different issues:
- Support: I find uemis reasonably responsive, even though I'll admit that the latest server outage wasn't a highlight in that respect
- Need for offline logbook function: the fundamental issue is that I can only log and easily edit information regarding my dives if I have a working internet connection between my device and all of their servers and their servers are up and running.

That last point is my main concern. Many of the best dive locations have rather spotty or no internet connectivity. Liveaboards come to mind. Also, uemis has proven that they cannot guarantee availability of their servers at all time - not even Amazon or Google seem to be able to do that.
So any architecture that requires both a working end-to-end internet connection and reliably available servers is simply flawed.

I don't think there is a reason for uemis to change their fundamental approach to their own logbook software on the web, etc. All they need to do is to provide an easy access to documented, structured dive data. The dive computer already exposes a FAT filesystem over USB (which is a brilliant solution, much better than what Suunto and others are doing). All that is needed is to expose the dive information through this. Think /uemis/dives/NNNN.xml with NNN being the dive number. And the file contains a documented xml representation of the dive data, including meta data that was entered on the device.

Look at this point I would settle for them just releasing the codes needed to use a third party logbook software. This is nothing more then other major companies have done and does not cost them anything at all.

Thanks for pointing out that they posted an update on the trimix firmware. I would also like to point out that it states that they are going to have to update all of the systems and underestimated the effort. That includes the website, so they clearly are working on rev 2, but it requires all of the bits and pieces to be put into place including understanding the final implementation of trimix on the device. I bet they will have the site up first once they work through the problems, then work through the rest of the updates for the devices. I would love a timeframe, but I have been there before with software development. Delays are costly and suck for everyone involved.

As for the other stuff, isn't the data just in xml or some similar easy to use format on the device? I'm sure someone could figure out a way to trap it and put it somewhere. I agree it is annoying to have to use their website but it isn't a difficult proposition for an existing tracking software to add. Should they make an app, yes but that is not their business plan and they don't have the resources.

As for the other stuff, isn't the data just in xml or some similar easy to use format on the device? I'm sure someone could figure out a way to trap it and put it somewhere. I agree it is annoying to have to use their website but it isn't a difficult proposition for an existing tracking software to add. Should they make an app, yes but that is not their business plan and they don't have the resources.

Device uses HTTPS to access web site. Hence the data is encrypted.

Back
Top Bottom