Locking the Apollo foot valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlackToe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
An instructor told me a couple weeks ago that I could lock the foot auto-valves on my Apollo drysuit by simply removing the springs. I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I'd like to try locking them.

However, it seems that removing the spring would make it easier for the valve to open since it would no longer have the extra resistance of the spring. Replacing the spring with a solid object makes more sense.

Before I do something that will result in a "wet" drysuit dive, does anyone out there have any insight into the best method of locking these valves?

I had this problem too. The springs hold the valves closed, so you can't dive without them. I took the springs out and stretched them to about double their original length. Then replaced them. The valves were pushed closed permanently and never opened again.

This is really the only way to dive an Apollo suit without dragging your feet in the silt. As soon as you get your feet up they'd vent and then you're heavy and your face smushes on the bottom. Those valves are a stupid gimmick, disabling them was one of the best things for my trim.

Awesome, thanks for the idea! I've got 'em apart right now for cleaning, so I'll give the springs a little stretch before I put 'em back together. =)

Hi there Blacktoe -

Do you find the foot valves useful or think that they are a gimmick?

I was looking at an apollo drysuit for my partner and was wondering what divers experiences with the foot valves are.

Cheers,
Rohan.

I've found that it's hard to keep air in the suit, so I have a little bit of a squeeze all the time. It's not too uncomfortable, just kind of annoying and makes it harder to stay warm. I don't notice air leaving the shoulder valve (I don't lock that one), so it must be going out the foot valves.

I'm wearing 1.5 lbs on each foot for trim, but I think 1 lb would be better as my feet are still sinking just a little bit. I have pretty good buoyancy, and this is only a problem when I'm trying to hover perfectly still. I'm hoping that locking the valves will help fine-tune things.

All in all, I feel the foot valves are gimmicky. I've never heard my non-Apollo buddies complain about air in the feet of their suits, and I don't like the idea of my suit trying to manage my buoyancy for me. Especially at my feet where I can't see it happening. =)

This is the only drysuit that I've dived in, and I'm *fairly* happy with it. Here's the negatives:

1) One of the wrist seals had a bad glue job and developed a leak after about 20 dives.
2) The legs are a little long for me, which is weird 'cause I've got long legs.
3) I think I'd prefer neoprene seals over latex, although I've never tried them. It's hard to get into the latex seals when they're wet (i.e. on repetitive dives) without feeling like you're gonna rip 'em apart.
4) The shoulder valve is not adjustable -- it's either on auto or closed. It does have a manual purge button, though.

If I can save up the cash, I'd like to get a custom High Tide or similar suit. The Apollo is a decent suit for the money, and you can just lock the foot valves if you don't like them.

air in your feet = warmth, use gators and BUY BARE :)

Back
Top Bottom