Locating the Barge (Monterey)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The boat traffic is a non-trivial concern for me. Recreational divers don't usually go out that far at the BW so boats aren't necessarily looking out, and you definitely need to be able to shoot an SMB to maximize your chances of being seen. One big question is, if you have a problem out at the barge, would it be safe to make a direct ascent to the surface (and if not, can you deal with it underwater and have enough gas to bring two divers inshore from the boat lane)? I have to say it's not worth it for me, but I may be more risk-averse than others. :)

Gombessa lmk if you want to make a run out there this weekend. We can replace the old line and tidy things up

Ben, I'm out of town for the next couple of weeks but that sounds like a lot of fun! Let me know if you're still planning on some line maintenance in the new year!

The barge is under a boat lane. It isn't practical to park an inflatable over the barge, you have to kick to get there.
Ummm...you can anchor a boat most anywhere that isn't marked as a shipping lane, no anchoring, etc. So yes I will continue to anchor on the barge, along with other boats, when we feel like it. I will look for bubbles and carefully drop my anchor knowing there may be divers below. Although with a boat there are far more interesting dive sites. Plus no you do not have to kick, that is what scooters are for!

Gombessa lmk if you want to make a run out there this weekend. We can replace the old line and tidy things up
See what I mean, rec divers just aren't allowed to tag along :bonk: I do have some #36 line I could supply too. Would just need to know how much to spool up on a reel ahead of time which the GPS coordinates, and google sketchup should reveal. No need to waste too much extra line. Unless you were thinking something thicker than #36? I have 800ft of it.

Ben, I'm out of town for the next couple of weeks but that sounds like a lot of fun! Let me know if you're still planning on some line maintenance in the new year!
Yeah, but does your travel include scuba diving? I am going to try to get some diving in while in Florida this year. Hmm...birthday dive?? You were there for it a couple of years ago at Lobos, when we had excellent vis.

I know Peter didn't mean that he anchors right on the barge but yeah please be careful and try not to drop anchor right on top of what little is left there. Some time back a big chunk was snagged and broken off. Yeah theres not much left but lets make sure what is there can still be enjoyed by the next generation of divers.

---------- Post added December 19th, 2012 at 04:39 PM ----------

The line is around 500 ft. Barge is approx 600 ft from the wall

For the first timers. If you cannot do a blue water ascent (ascending without reference/kelp/line) please do not attempt this until you have more experience.

What Peter and Ben_CA said. No problem to anchor a boat out there. With the usual NW wind, anchor about even with the
"bow" (NW end of the wreck) and about 30' SW. You'll see the dark shadow of the barge as you swim down, even
in lousy vis. Just be very sure to come back up your anchor line.

Here's the results of a project BAUE did on the barge a while back. There's also several maps of the BW... one of note is from Guy with pretty much everything thats there mapped out in detail.

BAUE Barge Project

Im glad you all actually know what I am talking about. Most of the people around the shops I have talked to about the barge look at me like im crazy. I understand there is not much left of it..but even still, its something I have not seen. I tried to find it this last weekend. I descended at the second to last marker and made two sweeps parallel to the breakwater trying to find the line...unsuccessful :( I felt like we were about 20 ft. or so away from the bottom of the wall. Maby the line was buried? Oh well...now I am just even more determined to find this thing. Why hasn't anyone ran the line straight to the bottom of the wall??

Oh well...now I am just even more determined to find this thing. Why hasn't anyone ran the line straight to the bottom of the wall??

My guess is it would be too easy to find and follow. The end of the wall is pretty far out for a typically recreational dive at the BW. Having the line farther out prevents accidental discovery by divers otherwise at max distance/depth, who might follow it and have to ascend while low on gas, far from the shore and in the middle of a busy boat channel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom