Locating the Barge (Monterey)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MbWaterdog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have yet to dive the barge off of the breakwater. I would like to go check it out. I have heard that there is a line running from the #13 marker of the breakwater to the barge. Is this line hard to find? Is it even still there? Any tips on locating the barge would be much appreciated. I would really like to find it the first try...as to minimize our time spent staring at sand :)

The line was definitely there as of Tuesday of last week. It was cut for a bit but someone repaired it and ran it all the way out to the barge. I believe you're correct on where it is located but don't quote me on it. I was with someone who knew exactly where it was and parked an inflatable basically on top of the line so we didn't have to look that hard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The line was definitely there as of Tuesday of last week. It was cut for a bit but someone repaired it and ran it all the way out to the barge. I believe you're correct on where it is located but don't quote me on it. I was with someone who knew exactly where it was and parked an inflatable basically on top of the line so we didn't have to look that hard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Do you Know if the line is attached to the bottom of the breakwater near the rocks? Or do you have to swim off of the wall before it starts?

I was with someone who knew exactly where it was and parked an inflatable basically on top of the line so we didn't have to look that hard.
Isn't it easier to just park that inflatable right on top of the barge itself :confused: Well at least that is what I do, and have never missed the mark with the anchor.

Do you Know if the line is attached to the bottom of the breakwater near the rocks? Or do you have to swim off of the wall before it starts?
You have to swim off the wall by 15ft or something.

Aren't there still a couple of floating bottles to help locate the line in the sand?

I would still like to do the "Grand Tour" at night but my dive buddy now thinks diving with us lowly rec divers isn't worth it anymore :p

BTW the Barge is an overhead dive as boat traffic can be heavy. Plan your gas, watch your turn pressures, and make sure you have a DSMB and know how to use it in case you do need to surface.

It definitely would have been easier to park the inflatable on top and drop in there but we dropped in with the intention of finding the break and fixing the line and found that someone had already fixed it so just swam down it to the barge.

The bottles are still there in two places and floating 2-4 feet off the bottom.

I would agree with Peter_C as well. We did this last Tuesday and boat traffic was pretty heavy even for a random weekday so I would assume it would be even worse on a weekend. Plan accordingly.

I usually start at the second last number and swim at an angle that's perhaps 45 degrees to the wall, and intercept the line somewhere midway. I'm always worried that I'll miss the line otherwise. If I get to 55 or 60' I'll turn and follow the sand parallel because that's definitely far enough. The line's not critical though -- once I just swam out to the 65' contour and followed it until I found the barge. I wouldn't do that in bad vis though.

Definitely an overhead environment. I don't do it without an SMB and some gas redundancy.

You have to swim off the wall by 15ft or something.

Aren't there still a couple of floating bottles to help locate the line in the sand? I didn't see the bottles last time.

I would still like to do the "Grand Tour" at night but my dive buddy now thinks diving with us lowly rec divers isn't worth it anymore :p

Where were you 2 weekends ago? Me and Hepcat went... Night dive too.

Next time I go out there I'll bring a reel. It'll be easier to lay the line on the scooter (okey not easier... faster). It is just under 500ft I think for the line.

Next time someone goes out check on the status of the anchors... see if they need replacing.

I've never seen the paving stones, and have never found the line on the first sweep. We typically do as Aquaregia does and hit the line on the second sweep - the end of the line sure feels farther than 15ft from the wall. The barge end of the line is maybe 15-20ft away from the barge so make sure you know your orientation when you arrive so you can find the line on your way back.

It's a fairly lengthy kick to the barge, deeper than the typical BW dive, and should be treated as an overhead environment due to the boat traffic (every time we've been at the barge, we've heard at least 3-4 boats pass over us), so plan accordingly and be safe out there!

I think the paving stones are probable buried. I didn't see them last time out. Who ever did the temp repair to the line brought it all the way to the barge. I dont know if thats good or bad.. Its just where its at right now.

Gombessa lmk if you want to make a run out there this weekend. We can replace the old line and tidy things up

It's a fun dive. Bring a light and a camera if you have one! I've done the kick three times now, but never in doubles. It would be way more fun with doubles simply because of the extra time on the dive.

The barge is under a boat lane. It isn't practical to park an inflatable over the barge, you have to kick to get there. Interesting idea that we should treat it like an onverhead environment. Most folks I've seen out there are in recreational gear- including me!

I have made this dive on a single 85 CF tank. Given the moderate depth and amount of work to get there, it would be more fun with a 120 or doubles. Seriously, it's a long kick on the surface , then a good swim at moderate depth along the line. More gas will make for a better dive!

Back
Top Bottom