Local tide/current charts? (specifically, planning a Cove 1 dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning my first post-cert, I'm-a-big-boy, rent-my-own-tanks dive. The plan is to return to Cove 1, where my class was, and just look around and practice skills. Cove 1 isn't he most exciting area, but I want to minimize unknowns for now.

However--one of the things that my class did not cover well was dive planning with regard to tides and currents. I can look up tides online but how do they translate to actual dive conditions on Seacrest Beach? Are there any times when there are bad currents, or is it always pretty mild?

TIA!

(Oh, I found a tide/current tutorial too... Neat.)

Edit: I was also wondering about dive flag usage at Seacrest. My instructor planted one, but I thought I saw a lot of other divers around Cove 2 who did not seem to be using one. I've got one to carry around if I need it, in fact, learning to manage the buoy and its line would be the one new thing I try on this dive.

Congrats on becoming a diver, Matt.

First off, you won't need tide/current charts for Cove 1 ... there's never any current there and you can dive it anytime. However, I applaud you for thinking about it ... you will want to do exactly that for most dive sites you want to dive.

There's a book out called "Northwest Shore Dives" by Stephen Fischnaller. You can pick up a copy at just about any dive shop. It's the best reference for local dive sites that you can get. There's a great section in the front of the book on using tide and current charts.

Mr. Fischnaller also teaches a tides and currents seminar ... although I do not know what his schedule is like these days.

Locally to you, Laurel LeFevre at Bubbles Below also teaches a tides and currents seminar. You might want to check with that shop to see when he's planning to teach his next one.

FWIW - Cove 2 is far more interesting than Cove 1. Lots more structure and life to look at. Watch your depth in all three coves ... the steady slope makes it easy to find yourself deeper than you want to be if you don't pay attention.

About the flag ... instructors are required to use them. Technically, so are regular divers ... but the law is unenforced and most people ignore it. If you dive in Cove 2 or Cove 3, make sure to respect the restricted zone around the fishing pier and water taxi lane. It's marked on the bottom by a rope with plastic jugs attached to it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks Bob!

you guys up there in PNW seem particully dialed in and aware of tides and currents. Is there some unique feature to your topography that makes these more important... than other places?

I am interested in tides and currents.

catherine96821:
you guys up there in PNW seem particully dialed in and aware of tides and currents. Is there some unique feature to your topography that makes these more important... than other places?

I am interested in tides and currents.

Yes. Puget Sound is 90 miles inland from the outer coast so slack current and slack tide vary from location to location (sometimes drastically). We also have many land features that restrict current flow.

When you are diving along an open coast such as California it's not much of an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom