Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this really a trend? Or is 2022 just a statistical outlier? That's the problem with this statistic on a relatively small population- one event that happens once a decade can throw the number really high for a year. Next year may only have 5 murders.

My point was, on a whole, most people in the United States would feel safer about planning a trip to St. Louis than Cozumel.
Maybe...if "most people" go by the stereotype of crime in Mexico as a whole, vs. the reality of crime in Cozumel (or St. Louis) specifically.

You seem more confident about making a point based on "most people in the US" than I am.

As we're so fond of reminding ourselves here on ScubaBoard, we aren't "most people". :)

Cozumel is getting substantially busier each year, so this follows.

Cozumel's ... rate of just over 16.9 per 100,000 people,
St Louis (293,000) Missouri, with a high rate but not a city people consider especially dangerous, has 64.54 is almost 4 times as deadly. ...
St. Louis's murders are mostly isolated to a few neighborhoods, and a small demographic. The rest of the city is very safe. I suspect the same is true of Cozumel and most other "dangerous" cities. Be smart, don't make the choices to put yourself in the wrong demographics or the wrong parts of town, and you will be just fine.

St. Louis's murders are mostly isolated to a few neighborhoods, and a small demographic. The rest of the city is very safe. I suspect the same is true of Cozumel and most other "dangerous" cities. Be smart, don't make the choices to put yourself in the wrong demographics or the wrong parts of town, and you will be just fine.
Be aware and don't make bad choices is good advice. But, if you think the current wave of violent murders in Cozumel are limited to a few bad neighborhoods, you are wrong. There have been several shootings well within the area frequented by tourists and during the daytime (on the Malecon, in front of Chedraui, and in a nice restaurant on Avenida 15). I am not sure how you avoid a spray of bullets aimed at someone else if they happen to be close enough to you that bullets that miss them come at you. This unfortunate circumstance has happened to several tourists on the mainland (in Tulum, Playa, and Cancun)

Be aware and don't make bad choices is good advice. But, if you think the current wave of violent murders in Cozumel are limited to a few bad neighborhoods, you are wrong. There have been several shootings well within the area frequented by tourists and during the daytime (on the Malecon, in front of Chedraui, and in a nice restaurant on Avenida 15). I am not sure how you avoid a spray of bullets aimed at someone else if they happen to be close enough to you that bullets that miss them come at you. This unfortunate circumstance has happened to several tourists on the mainland (in Tulum, Playa, and Cancun)
Nobody wants it but there are millions of tourists in those areas each year. The likelihood of being caught in the cross fire is statistically insignificant. At the end of the day you are not traveling or living in a first world country and travel with that in mind. I encourage people to get off the path, apparently those are the safer areas;-)

According to this taxi rates will remain at 2016 schedule in Cozumel for at least another year. I was unaware that taxi's were regulated at the state level.

With fuel close to double?

With fuel close to double?
I wouldn't call it doubled... it was 16 pesos a liter in 2016. It is what, 23 pesos a liter now? The rates aren't indexed to the gas prices.

Back
Top Bottom