Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And there are FB discussions where some are claiming there is nothing unusual going on and scaremongers are making it up.
Check out the FB video in this article.
It's the one about the Jeep JFS posted about.

I don’t find it shocking or would it influence my behavior when visiting. It might be more abrasive but has always been there.

I don’t find it shocking or would it influence my behavior when visiting. It might be more abrasive but has always been there.

I hear you. However, up until this year, when visiting Cozumel and walking east to and from El Moro, El Pique, and from generally Pedro Joaquin to the east, I was at the same level of vigilance as I would be in a large American city. Be smart, stay on decently lit streets that are busy. Walk at a decent pace, but not faster than a NYC walk. Not that big of a deal. I'd often carry a small pocket knife to provide a nice false sense of security, too.

Given recent events, I may taxi more often after dark and on the way home from dinner if we are east of 20th or so.

I hear you. However, up until this year, when visiting Cozumel and walking east to and from El Moro, El Pique, and from generally Pedro Joaquin to the east, I was at the same
I was going to ask this... we've walked a few times back to Melgar from La Perlita. I don't know Coz neighborhoods nor would I know which ones to avoid (if there are any). I would think we would cab anything more than a few blocks in from the square

I was going to ask this... we've walked a few times back to Melgar from La Perlita. I don't know Coz neighborhoods nor would I know which ones to avoid (if there are any). I would think we would cab anything more than a few blocks in from the square
I would not walk back from La Perlita or El Moro after dark. Not especially paranoid but prudent.

I would not walk back from La Perlita or El Moro after dark. Not especially paranoid but prudent.
I agree, the broken sidewalks can be dangerous after dark. A person could easily twist their ankle or trip and scrape their knee.

It's a shame. One time we happened upon a wedding, so got some water from the shop across the street and hung out and watched the bridal procession arrive. Another time came on a festival in a park. I always loved seeing this slice of life in Coz

I only carry a limited number (maybe 2000) of pesos with me. Nothing else. My understanding is drug lords vs grug cartels are fighting. I don't seek out those products. Never had an issue, but would just hand over my cash if approached by armed thief. I have not heard of increased violence against gringo's walking at 8 PM.
Now 10PM+, staggering drunk you may be a target.
Not altering my routine unless violence speads to the average tourist.

Something I have said before bears repeating:

Whatever unsavory things you may be into at home, be it drugs, prostitution, or whatever, it is your own business, and I do not give a damn about it, but when you are on Cozumel PLEASE give it a rest. It's not only for your own protection but that of the rest of us as well. Where there are no customers there are no drug dealers and pimps.

Yeah, yeah, I know...
Great message, but how do we get it to the cruisers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom