Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, other than bringing surprises packages to the beaches, how has the sargassum been this season? I'm thinking about a Coz/mainland visit next year for Spring Break (mid-April). I have not seen much discussion of the sargassum this year (other than this article)...

So, other than bringing surprises packages to the beaches, how has the sargassum been this season? I'm thinking about a Coz/mainland visit next year for Spring Break (mid-April). I have not seen much discussion of the sargassum this year (other than this article)...
Not bad on the west side of the island, shielded from the prevailing winds, but I have read several articles of schemes and contraptions to control it on the mainland plus the standard 'lip stick on a pig' PR blurbs about how 'its not so bad'. Suspect that claims to the contrary, it's pretty bad.
Last time I did the bag drag, several years back, the smell from rotting piles of sargassum drifting up to 5th avenue would turn my stomach.
Look at the pictures from the article, that's the recent status

Not bad on the west side of the island, shielded from the prevailing winds, but I have read several articles of schemes and contraptions to control it on the mainland plus the standard 'lip stick on a pig' PR blurbs about how 'its not so bad'. Suspect that claims to the contrary, it's pretty bad.
Last time I did the bag drag, several years back, the smell from rotting piles of sargassum drifting up to 5th avenue would turn my stomach.
Look at the pictures from the article, that's the recent status
Little to none on the west side of Cozumel, and little to great piles of it on the east side are the norms. Occasionally wind with a western component will blow some onto the west side of the island, but it's not that common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom