Local dives sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avic7

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My buddy and I want to check out some new dive sites located on the mainland. I'm wondering if anyone have any suggestions.

So far we've been to Ansel, whytecliff, whiskey cove, porteu cove, and this residential area that out of the way but is near the base of seymour (forgot the name, sorry). Some other places that we've dove are the fresh water lakes like White Pine Beach.

I know there are lots of other dive sites if I take the ferry to the island, but if I go there I plan to stay over there for a few nights instead of just dive and hurry home. Are there any other places that are available here, that I have missed?

Thanks

Avic

I've never been (just going on my first OW dives tomorrow!) but I have heard nice things about Kelvin Grove. It is in the Lions Bay area. Directions are on the site that I linked. :)

creamofwheat:
I've never been (just going on my first OW dives tomorrow!) but I have heard nice things about Kelvin Grove. It is in the Lions Bay area. Directions are on the site that I linked. :)

Wow thanks for the quick reply creamofwheat. Do you know how long it takes for you to drive from horseshoe bay to this location? 15 min? More or less?

The dive site near seymour was it down Indian River Road? twisty near the end? A boat wharf? it sounds like Woodlands. I have never been diving there myself. Creamofwheat is right there is Kelvin Grove but parking is a problem!!! I have a book called Greater vancouver dive site. lotsa shore and boat dives. check with your local dive shop cause there is too many to list. but right next door to whytecliff there is "the lookout",copper cove,batchelor bay,larsen bay just to name a few.

did you go out last night Avic? I got off work early so was feeling pretty ok so I went to the whytecliff islet. vis was ok was better on wed night. went to 90' to look for a weight belt I had seen on wed night and could not lift it safely so yesterday I brought my lift bag. someone else musta found it cause it was gone. good dive tho. Got bummed out cause my camera was setup in the wrong mode and I cant switch it U/W. got real close to a Red Irish Lord. amazing. kelp greenlings,cod,nudibranchs,cloud sponges you name it.
happy diving,
Les

Les:
The dive site near seymour was it down Indian River Road? twisty near the end? A boat wharf? it sounds like Woodlands. I have never been diving there myself. Creamofwheat is right there is Kelvin Grove but parking is a problem!!! I have a book called Greater vancouver dive site. lotsa shore and boat dives. check with your local dive shop cause there is too many to list. but right next door to whytecliff there is "the lookout",copper cove,batchelor bay,larsen bay just to name a few. Les

Les got it right, it called woodlands. Best diving place ever because of the easy entry. Only problem is the parking area is so small (you have to park at the side of the road)and the residents dislike people parking in the cul de sac where the dive site right there. You got to park the car up the will which is not that far away. Maybe 2 or three minutes walk away.

Les:
did you go out last night Avic? I got off work early so was feeling pretty ok so I went to the whytecliff islet. vis was ok was better on wed night. went to 90' to look for a weight belt I had seen on wed night and could not lift it safely so yesterday I brought my lift bag. someone else musta found it cause it was gone. good dive tho. Got bummed out cause my camera was setup in the wrong mode and I cant switch it U/W. got real close to a Red Irish Lord. amazing. kelp greenlings,cod,nudibranchs,cloud sponges you name it.
happy diving,
Les

Yeah i got to whytecliff around 7ish. Did one dive and finsihed at 8:30. What time did you go? By the time I got there there was a couple of people leaving and they were from the Vancouver Aquarium. DId you see them? What is a Red Irish Lord? It sounds like a beer brand. I saw all of those things including hermit crabs. But for some reason I prefer the left side more. Seems more beautiful and clearer.

Anyways keep any suggestions coming please. If you can supply a link to a site that you recommend that would be great.
I'll probably buy the book after I finish paying off all my gear...I just owe a little over a thousand bucks....it not that much right? RIGHT?

you can get the book from any dive shop or Indigo,Amazon maybe. it is by Carl Trepanier called greater vancouver diving guide. another book is by Betty Pratt.(I don't have that one)most books are about $25-30. great tool to have if you want to find out about some sites although some of the info is now getting old. How was the woodlands dive. I have not dove there yet. where did you go from the dock? depth and what did you see!!
the aquarium people were just finishing their first dive when I was leaving about 5:30.
where do you live? I am in North Van. when I get better we should go for a dive.
Les

Les:
you can get the book from any dive shop or Indigo,Amazon maybe. it is by Carl Trepanier called greater vancouver diving guide. another book is by Betty Pratt.(I don't have that one)most books are about $25-30. great tool to have if you want to find out about some sites although some of the info is now getting old. How was the woodlands dive. I have not dove there yet. where did you go from the dock? depth and what did you see!!
the aquarium people were just finishing their first dive when I was leaving about 5:30.
where do you live? I am in North Van. when I get better we should go for a dive.
Les

I've been diving at Whytecliff for the past couple of weeks because I want to see some SEALS, which is why I haven't gone back to Woodlands for a while. There is a nice scenic drive that lasts for 10 minutes or more which is all green due to the rain we have had so far. It is beautiful like the rainforest out in Victoria. Once you reach your destination and have set up your gear and walked to the end of the dock, just jump right on in. You head towards your left (if your facing towards the water), I usually swim to the mini light-house and descend from there and just swim around the "island" that has someone living on it. I thnk there is an Octopus there due to the number of shells I have seen, and there are lots of BIG crabs too. Other things to see if your lucky. There is nothing on your right hand side except sand.
If you ever go there and dive, let me know how it turns out. Oh and make sure you go at high tide, otherwise you will have to surface out of the water to go completely around the "island".

i did porteau on friday nigt with my new light cannon it was a pretty amazing dive. we seen at least 20 war bonnets, lots of shaggy mouse nudis, an orange peel nudi, oooh and a squid those guys are quick we also seen a 4 to 5 foot long linger it was huge and ready to lay eggs. we maxed out at 60 ft and dive time was 62 minutes not bad for a wetsuit. my drysuit should be here tommorow. paul and i will probably do whytecliff next weekend depending on how comfortable i am in my drysuit. i think we will do a wednesday night dive at porteau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom