Local computer rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm heading down to the Channel Islands for some diving and it looks like that I'll dramatically increase my dive possibilities if I take a computer. However, I don't really feel like I'm ready to buy a computer yet. I've used a couple of them and researched the options, and I'm still not really sure what I'm looking for / willing to pay for.

I found a place in Santa Barbara that will rent me a computer, however I'm set up to arrive there at like 2am so I have no idea how I'd pick it up. I was hoping I'd find a local place that would rent me something, but the three LDSes I usually visit (AquaSafaris, Any Water Sports, Aquarius) seem to only rent them with a full reg set. I'd much rather rent a simple wristmount unit, and I certainly don't want to pay to rent a bunch of regulators when I'd rather use my own.

Does anyone know a Bay Areaish LDS where I could rent something simple for a weekend for a reasonable rate?

Give Aqua Safaris a call. They use Aladin Primes and I'm sure they have a wrist boot they can pop one into off their reg setup.

I'm heading down to the Channel Islands for some diving and it looks like that I'll dramatically increase my dive possibilities if I take a computer. However, I don't really feel like I'm ready to buy a computer yet. I've used a couple of them and researched the options, and I'm still not really sure what I'm looking for / willing to pay for.

I found a place in Santa Barbara that will rent me a computer, however I'm set up to arrive there at like 2am so I have no idea how I'd pick it up. I was hoping I'd find a local place that would rent me something, but the three LDSes I usually visit (AquaSafaris, Any Water Sports, Aquarius) seem to only rent them with a full reg set. I'd much rather rent a simple wristmount unit, and I certainly don't want to pay to rent a bunch of regulators when I'd rather use my own.

Does anyone know a Bay Areaish LDS where I could rent something simple for a weekend for a reasonable rate?

I just came back from the Channel Islands last Friday. I rented once on the island, I had nothing and got all rental gear plus a DM to show me the site for $97 dollars with tax...

You don't need a computer just a simple SPG and bottom depth gauge was all I got and I was fine for a dive in Avalon...

So when are you going and what island are you diving?

MG

aquaregia, are you going out there on a boat? Mike went to Catalina, where you can rent gear, but many channel islands charters go to the northern islands where there are no facilities and you just stay on the boat. Channel Islands diving can be medium depths at 60' where the rubble wall meets the sand, or you can have wide swales dropping off of reefs down to beyond rec depths. Your comment that you are getting to Santa Barbara at 2am (probably for a 4am departure) lead me to think you are going to the northern islands on a truth aquatics boat.

If you are looking for a computer to track nitrogen exposure and plan SIs and repetitive dives, the way most computers operate, then this makes sense for a dive trip which will give you a chance for up to 11 or so dives over three days. You'll be able to do more dives safely with a computer than if you were using tables. Most of the time people are off the tables after their first or second dive of the trip.

I would call the SeaLanding office at 805-963-3564 and see if they can rent you a computer and put it on the TA boat for you before they close (usually around midnight).

It also sounded like a good idea to call a LDS and just ask if they could pop a computer out of a console and stidck it in a boot for you. In any case, it's a good idea to have a computer for these trips. Good luck.

I don't know what you'd consider a "reasonable" rate to rent, but I found this and this without looking too hard. Or step up to a nitrox computer for $30 more.

When you're talking multiple dives over multiple days, including throwing in a night dive or two, the easy way is to use a computer.

Just FYI, a buddy of mine had his computer flood between dives and he went to a dive shop in the area to rent a computer. He ended up having to rent the whole regulator setup as well since the computer was connected to the first stage. The store owner's reasoning was because he had to remove the computer from the rental setup, he couldn't rent out the rest of it (first stage, octo, etc). So definitely call ahead to double check and make sure you get the person's name if they say they can rent you a computer only.

Hinalo's right on the money -- heading out on one of Truth's boats for two days for up to 11 dives :) Talking to some of my mates, it seems like the tables would limit me to around 7.

I've used the Veo100NX and I wasn't terribly pleased with it, but I'm sort of picky. What's ScubaToys shipping speed like?

I've used the Veo100NX and I wasn't terribly pleased with it, but I'm sort of picky. What's ScubaToys shipping speed like?
Goes out the same day your order. And with your zip code, we can tell you how fast ground is to you... or we can send 2 day, next day, etc.

Free ground shipping for you, and normally 3 days to most of the country at the outside.

I have an Aladin Prime wrist computer I can rent you. As somebody else mentioned, you don't even want to think about going on one of the live-aboard boats without a computer. Even diving with a computer, I find I'm right on the ragged edge for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th dive of the day...each day. I can't imagine being bound to table limits. You might as well just sun yourself on deck as have to live with those limitations.

Bruce
Aquarius Dive Shop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom