Lobstering Idiots at LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - this afternoon my girlfriend and I went snorkling near the pier at Lauderdale By the Sea. The ocean was calm and the vis was great. On the way back in, near the first reef on the south side of the pier, we saw an octopus about the size of a soccer ball chowing down on shells. There were several empty shells near the octopus and lots of little fish swimming around looking for scraps. The octopus was half under a small coral head.

We watched it for about ten minutes and saw some divers heading out from the beach. I motioned to them to come over and dove down to point out the octopus. Only then did I realize they were going out lobstering.

They were all bad divers - 3 guys and a gal. They all dragged their legs along the rocks and corals and fans and sponges, and the woman was pulling hereself with her hands along the reef. After one of them pointed directly to the octopus and they all saw it, he jammed his tickle stick at the octopus and up into the coral head. Another one of them got their net out like they were going to try to catch it. The guy with the tickle stick was jamming it in and out of the coral head. We were exhausted and didn't stick around to watch.

If I had realized what idiots they were, I would not have shown them the octopus. I hope it bit the hell out of them. I know not all lobsterers are bad divers, but as usual, there are always enough bad apples to screw things up for the rest of us.

trigfunctions:
the woman was pulling hereself with her hands along the reef.

I saw a woman doing that at the same place. Maybe it was the same slob you saw.
Too bad you can't just make them eat what they kill.

Isn't lobster season closed right now?

trigfunctions:
Hi all - this afternoon my girlfriend and I went snorkling near the pier at Lauderdale By the Sea. The ocean was calm and the vis was great. On the way back in, near the first reef on the south side of the pier, we saw an octopus about the size of a soccer ball chowing down on shells. There were several empty shells near the octopus and lots of little fish swimming around looking for scraps. The octopus was half under a small coral head.

We watched it for about ten minutes and saw some divers heading out from the beach. I motioned to them to come over and dove down to point out the octopus. Only then did I realize they were going out lobstering.

They were all bad divers - 3 guys and a gal. They all dragged their legs along the rocks and corals and fans and sponges, and the woman was pulling hereself with her hands along the reef. After one of them pointed directly to the octopus and they all saw it, he jammed his tickle stick at the octopus and up into the coral head. Another one of them got their net out like they were going to try to catch it. The guy with the tickle stick was jamming it in and out of the coral head. We were exhausted and didn't stick around to watch.

If I had realized what idiots they were, I would not have shown them the octopus. I hope it bit the hell out of them. I know not all lobsterers are bad divers, but as usual, there are always enough bad apples to screw things up for the rest of us.
I believe in eat what you kill. I'm sure their livers would be wonderful with some favre beans and a nice Chianti.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom