Lobster On Long Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
newly certfied, want to dive for lobster, have no idea what is involved (except permit) what equipment if any is needed, where to find them, how to catch them, etc.
do you need a boat dive or can you catch them from a beach dive. anyone with experience in catching lobsters off long island or elsewhere please offer help, advice
thanks in advance

I would say that you need to be diving off of a boat. You can get them from any structure. Wreck or rock piles. The only gear you need is a catch bag and your hand.

When you see a lobster, just jam your hand in the hole and grab them before they pinch you. Make sure that gage them and check for eggs on the tail. If they are big enough and clear of eggs, Drop them in your bag tail first.

This sounds simple, but it takes time and pratice.

Good luck.

NEWreckDiver:

Understatment of the year :wink:

NEWreckDiver:
I would say that you need to be diving off of a boat. You can get them from any structure. Wreck or rock piles. The only gear you need is a catch bag and your hand.

When you see a lobster, just jam your hand in the hole and grab them before they pinch you. Make sure that gage them and check for eggs on the tail. If they are big enough and clear of eggs, Drop them in your bag tail first.

Good luck.

Don't necessarily need to be off a boat. The sound is still rebounding, but out east you may find a legal one. Rocks as in jettys, or in Sound there are lots of rock piles.

Very few of the bugs I have gotten was I able to get them before they got me.
Dont , if you only have grip on claw, just pull it, because that is all you will end up with. Hold on and try to move your fingers to better position on the body.
It took me couple of years to get the nack just to find them. I still miss a lot. (two really nice big ones just yesterday).

Back
Top Bottom