lobster mini-season!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
whose pumped about mini-season this year!? I've only been once, but man it was awesome last year!!!

last year I was in key largo on both days...

I am deciding on whether or not to do both days again there, or maybe do a different location...

what do you guys think?

I really liked in key largo it was relatively shallow (less than 30 feet most of the time)

any suggestions?

I've been excited since the day mini-season closed last year!

have you guys read the article in Dive Training about the mini-season?

Jack

I live in the Keys and I will say I don't quite understand why you would want to come here for "mini season".
The limit is 6 lobsters per day in Monroe County. Everywhere else in Florida it is 12!
The lobsters tend to be larger on the mainland also.

Yes I do prefer the diving here, but that is because we dive with alot of "local knowledge"

Please educate me

well I dunno really...I did my check out dives at Key Largo, so I know the territory a little. I spent lobster mini-season there last year, and was pretty fruitful. I dunno, I just really like the laid back atmosphere down there...And I also liked how most of the lobsterin' was in less than 30 feet of water. If you have any better recommendations/ideas/places by all means tell me ;-)

thanks

Jack

Renting a boat (if you can find one still available) is a terrible idea unless you're an experienced boater and have some good numbers and know the water really well. Mini-season is to boaters what NYE is to drivers... amateur hour.

Rachel

Best advice is if you liked the Keys that much (entire experience) do whatever you did last year.
Rachel's advice on a boat is right on target. It's so bad here that we do not leave the dock that week, unless it's to spearfish off in deep water. And then we still have unecessary concerns due to boat traffic and people thinking it's a "local honeyhole"

biscuit7:
Mini-season is to boaters what NYE is to drivers... amateur hour.

Nice to see you surfacing Rach!!

And you hit it exactly right, we lose 3-4 divers every year who die during mini-season diving for lobsters. If you are not diving with a very experienced dive boat captain/Op, you are dramatically increasing your risks.

One of the biggest problems is there is a lot of personal self pressure put on all divers to "get their limit". This usually causes divers to extend their risk tolerance beyond what it normal for them and end up bent or dead. Mini-season is by far and way the deadliest 2 days of diving in Florida each year.

im super excited! i found a spot filled with lobsters the day after season closed! cant wait to go there and limit out...and the great thing is its only about 4ft deep

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom