lobster gauges-take two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Spiny lobster has a minimum size limit that must be larger than 3" carapace, measured in the water. A reminder that possession and use of a measuring device is required at all times,....

What does this mean? If you lose your lobster gauge, you're screwed. You get a ticket. It's easy to lose a gauge. I had my limit last year and I was going ashore when I realized I'd lost my gauge. I worried about it until I drove away. I lucked out and no one was waiting to check me.

They're 99 cents at kmart, buy one for the marine patrol and put it away, just in case.

If you are shore diving make sure you have your license with you when you are diving.

Good luck and happy hunting

Tie wrap that thing to a piece of you gear or better yet your bag. I have never been asked to show a gauge while in the water, but that does not mean it will not be the new patrol tatic this year.

I've never been asked for the gauge while in the water, but I have had my lobsters measured while in the water and yes I am glad that I had measured them before bagging them! I have one on my tickle stick and one on my snare, and yes, I use both tools.

I've got the 5 year credit-card plastic style license,
but I'm considering drilling a hole in the sucker so I can zip tie it to my BC.

Yeah, paper license, grrr.
How about in a Ziplock baggie, (in yet another ziplock baggie)
and either tucked on your person (sleeve, neck)
or attached high on your diver down flag/buoy.

Perhaps someone could dig ... maybe all you really need is your license number?
I've -heard- that up north they need their lic# displayed on their boat, buoy, float, whatnot.

I typically have my gauge on a rubber band that is wound around my palm or wrist.
Rarely in the way and easy as pie to have handy.

I've been asked for my gauge. He took it and compared it to his gauge.

I used to keep my license in a baggie in a watertight box, now I have a 5 year plastic one. I've been asked for my license coming out of the water. The ***** wouldn't even let me go to my car, 50 feet away to take my tank off first.

I had one officer who had been watching me through binoculars tell me that the flag on my float was leaning over to far, she said she'd let me go but another officer might not be as lenient. I was taking pictures that day, she checked between my wing and backplate for lobsters. Like I'm going to put a spiny lobster between a $300 wing and a backplate.

By the way, I've never been stopped on the beach by a marine patrol officer in uniform, they've always had civilian clothes, binoculars and a badge.

They can be picky. Know the rules!

I've been asked for my license when offshore beach diving as well! I keep it in one of those watertight beach boxes attached to my flag. Once years ago I was told my old flag was not high enough out of the water. They are very strict!

I also know someone who was diving with someone else whose bag malfunctioned, so my friend was carrying the other guy's lobsters, it was not mini-season, the guy had seven lobsters, even though the buddies were together and both had a license, my friend had to go to court.

I got a written warning a couple years back because I did not have the license (paper) on me while doing a shore dive, I had it in my car. I was told that I had to have it on me. Marine patrol was in uniform and on the beach waiting for us.
A few hours later one of our dive flags got buzzed by a boat, but the marine patrol was long gone. Protection for lobsters but not for divers, I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom