Lobster Dive around key Largo...charter or rent your own boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

I am new here but I wanted to get opinions. I have been to the keys several times lobster diving, one on a friends boat and a couple on charter. I was looking at boat rentals so that my group could go on their own and lobster dive. I was wondering your take on this scenario.

I have a group of 4 and we are going next year (2019). It seems cheaper to rent a boat for a few days than to charter. I have owned a boat for years and very comfortable navigating. We are hoping to dive 3-4 days out of the week. Here are my concerns and would love feedback.

- Finding the lobster. I know the best way since I don't have numbers is to look below the surface and hunt for them, but is it worth it to do that?
- Protected areas - I can't find a map showing protected areas so we can avoid these.
- Avoiding Charter areas - If we are renting our own boat, we want to avoid charter boats.

This is the first time I have looked at taking the boat out ourselves (since we have the experience in navigating and diving), we are just lacking the areas to avoid and any ideas of good landmarks.

Since you mentioned cheaper....

It is cheaper to go to cudjoe sales and buy some lobster tails....then you can go diving for fun and not worry about lobster.
It is cheaper, I should clarify...since it was about the same price, it intrigued me to inquire about the flexibility of having a boat to use at our discretion. The cost isn't the issue, that was just a factor in the inquiry.

Well thats tough. If you have never been lobstering before I would probably go on a charter. Lobstering is not as easy as it looks and finding them can be time consuming, so it may be beneficial to go out with a charter at least one time to see the do's and don'ts.

If your fairly certain you can find them, and then catch them, then I would def rent my own boat. This way you have no time constraints.

In the keys you don't have to scuba to get lobster either, you can go on the Gulf side and get them in 6-10ft of water and just free dive for them.

Here is how we do it:

On the Gulf side get 2 ski ropes and tie them off to the back rings. Drag 2 swimmers around really really slowly. Swimmers will have their fins, snorkel, mask and weight belt on. They will also be toting their snare or tickle stick and net. You will also need a lobster bag.

Swimmers drag behind the boat face down looking for limestone patches in the grass, when one is found the swimmer raises their hand so the captain stops the boat. Remember to keep your dive flag up while doing this. Swimmers dive down and grab lobster. Once that spot is cleared of lobster swimmers grab back on to the ski ropes and captain pulls them around looking for another limestone hole. Rinse repeat :)

Hope this helps.

My experience has been with Ca lobster diving, the boats will go where they think, or have seen, where the lobster are, and adjust depending on their experience. They know the no take areas, conditions, and so on.

I would probably rent the boat because I suck at collecting lobster, get distracted a lot underwater sightseeing, and am there mostly for the diving.

Bob

Frank-
Forgive me if this is obvious, but to operate a motor boat in FL you'll need to show proof of competency, a boating certificate from a recognized state or national source.
Every year there are incidents (plural) in Florida and other places where some divers anchored their boat---and it wasn't there when they came back up. If you all want to dive, really, it is safer to hire a boat with operator (i.e. charter) so there's always a guy on the boat. Who can also give a spare hand with all the gear and provide some local knowledge.
I can appreciate wanting to just see a chart with "Not Here" boundaries on it, but really, if you aren't comfortable with taking the posted regulations and drawing you own lines on a chart? Better to go with someone who knows the local waters. One less thing to worry about.
This year, apparently lobstering in the Keys has been all messed up. last year's heavy storms literally disrupted everything, including where to find the lobsters. I don't think that anyone, unless they are making a buck by taking you to the lobsters, really wants to share their precious lobster hole locations. After all, that'd be giving away the lobsters that they were planning to eat!

Rent the boat and have fun diving . When it comes to the lobster got to the Key Largo
fisheries it will be much cheaper and easier . The Backyard cafe has a Lobster BLT that
is out of this world !
Sea Dwellers

I gotta agree with the others, have fun diving and don't take the chance of getting busted lobstering illegally. But just so you know...

Here are all of the special zone maps... List of Marine Zones within Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary

Here are the mini-season and recreational season rules.... Spiny Lobster - Panulirus argus

And where to find lobster? They are just about everywhere. If I ate them, I'd look in Hawk Channel where there is coral cover, up in the channel. Don't get too far from your boat. I take a kayak and get all I want in about 15 minutes about 400 feet from shore.

If you have the skills to operate the boat, I would say rent it.

As for your concerns
1. there are no guarantees you will find lobster on a charter. Have some fun looking in your own spots.
2. do a little googling of areas listed on the fl fwc website. I found maps kind of easily.
3. most charters go to the same places most of the time... look at the websites.

Have fun on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom