lobster claw strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Few weeks ago I caught a normal-size lobster (about two pounds) with a freakishly large crusher claw. He got a grip on my thumb -- left no bruise, but the bone hurt for about a week.

As a kid, (age 12-14 or so), I had a bug's crusher claw actually break my right ring finger. I haven't had any problems as an adult with cold water gloves though. In fact, I usually let them get a little pinch, just so I can control them a little better before bagging 'em.

I have dropped my tickle stick and have been getting a tad more aggressive (read less of a big ole fairy). I am sure my time is coming and I'll get back to you soon.

rubberduck:
New to NE lobstering and after being pinched a few times by the smaller ones started thinking what a 3-5 pounder could do for damage. Could they sever a finger?

Anyone have interesting battlescars and stories?

Good thread. The waters around here are crawling with lobsters and some of them have claws bigger than my hands. I've often wondered who would win if it got to wrestling.

R..

ScubaSarus:
I wouldnt doubt they could also puncture a finger nail.

I got pinched on the elbow today. A short managed to grab a fold of skin through the wetsuit when I let it go. Made me jump because I wasn't expecting it, and then hung on for a minute... looked like something out of a bad cartoon.

Diver0001:
Good thread. The waters around here are crawling with lobsters and some of them have claws bigger than my hands. I've often wondered who would win if it got to wrestling.

R..
Is it legal to catch them in Netherlands?

mello-yellow:
Is it legal to catch them in Netherlands?

It's legal for fishermen with the proper licences to fish for lobster using bow-nets but it's not legal to catch them using scuba.

If you do take one diving and get caught then you'll get a fine and all of your dive-gear will be confiscated.

R..

Diver0001:
It's legal for fishermen with the proper licences to fish for lobster using bow-nets but it's not legal to catch them using scuba.

If you do take one diving and get caught then you'll get a fine and all of your dive-gear will be confiscated.

R..

Just doesn't seem fair. All of the lobster taken by scuba in this area doesn't amount to maybe 1% of the total taken.

OK, I'm still freaked out by the guy missing the finger. How is it that he could loose the tip of his finger to a lobster, then have the presence of mind to take a picture of it, then throw it over board, THEN tease the lobster with his bloody stump? Maybe I'm a little wimpy, but I'd be crying like a french school girl if I was missing the tip of my finger...even my pinky! How was it that he wasn't bleeding all over the place?

YIKES!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom