Lobos Sea Mount Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Ben. Yes, I have the compass headings from the BAUE maps. I was hoping some people might have some helpful landmarks or signposts that might supplement compass headings.

The natural downslope from HITW certainly makes sense, at least running N-S. What about E-W? The Sand Channel cuts across north of HITW. Do you run across and leave the Sand Channel in heading north?

And then there's the problem of knowing if and when you've found it, in the absense of a sign: "Welcome to Sea Mount." I have headed N from HITW, sloping to 95' or so. Wasn't sure if I had found Sea Mount or something else.

hmmm good points. Never really thought too much about it. If you take the downslope then stay just East of the sand/rock interface I think that would help. I'll try to pay more attention next time. I can usually tell its the Sea Mount because of the size and length. There's nothing else around (at that depth/area) that are close to the dimensions

That was my sense, that Sea Mount is either east of or along the eastern edge of the Sand Channel. It's also helpful to confirm that Sea Mount is a solitary and relatively isolated reef--at the southern end of Betos, right? The BAUE maps seem to suggest this. Is the reef covered at the top with a large amount of strawberry anemonies?

when on south side of the HITW, look right, you'll see a small pinnacle, go over its ridge you see another one just north of it, then keep on 0 degree, past some kelp patch,
you will see on your left a big rock amound almost :) it has some hydrocorals on it further side. it is in about 80ft of water. keep at 0 degree and you nd up at Betos, go 270 and it gets you to 3 sisters. but nothing beats compass and BAUE maps :). Try going to lobos on a best viz date, you be very surprized how small that area is :).

I know what you mean about good viz and small area. I actually think my buddy and I were at Betos--probably didn't realize we had swam right past Sea Mount. Would be great if BAUE or some group would post some flags, leaving them up at least for a month or so to give me a chance to nail things down :D.

Still compass is your friend :) if you want PM me and we can go on a navigation dive in Pt Lobos..

My foolproof method for finding Seamount from HITW: First go to Lone Metridium, then head due north for 130'. Try to stay up at 60'-70', because the bottom is relatively uninteresting along the way from LM to Seamount.

To get to LM from HITW, hug the rocks on your left as you go west from HITW. Go through the sand channel to the next ridgeline over, then hang a right. Follow that wall down to the end, then go around the point. LM will be at the end of the finger about 20' off the bottom.

To do Beto's Reef right, you really need to learn how to go down directly on Seamount and start your dive there. That will take some practice, as Seamount is nearly a point target when you're swimming out on the surface. Your best clue is the kelp: this time of year, the kelp going north from the bird rock pretty much ends at Seamount.

Bruce

Last edited:
Subscribed.

Dove recently with mahjong & learned how little I know about navigating Lobos.

Keep posting guy's, this is good stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom