Lobos report 8-18 (Wed)...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeguerrero

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

In preparation for my Fundies ocean dives this weekend, I decided to practice on some drills. I work nights so I can dive during the week and Lobos is the place to be; no crowds and the whole cove to yourself.

This makes it awesome in case you mess up, no one will laugh. :wink:

My partner arrives and we really hammer on GUEEDGE and the importance of it. Oh wait, this is suppose to be a Lobos report. :dork2:
Sorry guys, I was getting a little carried away, GUE is so much fun, really it is. There is so much to learn and you can get carried away talking about it.

The water was dead calm on entry, super flat. The ramp was high tide but had lots of algae, so please be careful.

Surface kicking right out to worm patch took a while since there is tons and tons and tons of kelp growing everywhere, where are the urchins?

We had a super surprise visitor come up and try to join our team. He was a juvenile harbor seal that was watching us from a safe distance, then he kept getting closer and closer.

As we were doing our bubble check, I notice that he goes just under us checking out my partners doubles, maybe he was curious why two tanks in such shallow water. Hey Mr. seal it's a training session so don't examine us too much. :D

He was oh so delightful, I've never been approached by one at lobos that close, his eyes were so cool, very huge and they looked like underwater goggles.

Well, he left us as we headed out first to find sand channel and make our way over to hole in the wall to examine some underwater topography that my partner was interested in viewing.

Dropping down into about 30 feet of water and getting bouyancy/trim in place the frog kicks started and we made it there in virtually 40 + feet of viz, just fantastic.

I was trying out the new 620 atlas orange gloves and started to get cold, I wondered but then I looked over at my gauge and noticed temps read 50 degrees. With a quick squirt of argon I relieved the cold just a tad.

After my partner found the landmark and made the observation, she gave the signal to head back to worm patch to make a safe ascent.

We had a wonderful time swimming back to worm patch and making and holding our stops.

Once at the surface we planned for my drills; I wanted to work on my valves and shut them down.

Went down and struggled, but I completed them again, I had moved the isolator valve back and needed it more forward, thanks to my buddy that was resolved.

My right hand sprung a very slow leak and I was upset that my glove was compromised, was it my seal or the glove?

When we got back to shore I notice that it was the orange glove towards the wrist, two small holes had worked there way from stress on the gloves, reaching back to the valves, maybe.

What I believe is that they are not as durable for me as the blue ones, so I will try the blue ones during my class.

We left the park after my partner had practiced more drills; S-drill and basic 5. It's so great to see more experienced divers holding trim and completing drills so I can learn good practices. :wink:

Monterey, Carmel diving.... GET OUT THERE AND DIVE!!! THE WATER IS AWESOME!!

MG

Nice report, Mike, glad you had fun :)

Hahaha,

I wouldn't call it fun, until after my class... Right now it's all about training, but you know what Kristina, Lobos is what you'd call fun with conditions that are currently holding up... :D

Diver's you need to get out in the water to explore, swim, have fun and just dive!!!

Back
Top Bottom