Lobos Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does Capt. Phil offer dive charters from Lobos? I saw him launch with a small dive group in a huge inflatable last spring. I have also dived in Lobos on a special Beachhopper charter. Does anyone else offer charters in the park?

Phil does run charters on his RIB out of Lobos. I've been out on his boat a couple of times. I think he books up way ahead of time, though; his website is Diving tours

Does Capt. Phil offer dive charters from Lobos? I saw him launch with a small dive group in a huge inflatable last spring. I have also dived in Lobos on a special Beachhopper charter. Does anyone else offer charters in the park?

I think you can charter any of the Mocal boats to come get the dive party from Whalers cove as opposed to K-dock. The thing is that you will still need the appropriate amount of dive reservation from Lobos to do this.

We used to just set up the reservations, then call the ranger station to check the teams in and out from our cell phone.

One of the rangers complained (AFAIK) and now we're forced to have the divers check in at the ranger station.

Like previously said, you'll need the Point Lobos reservations.

But if I was going through the trouble to charter a boat, I can think of quite a few places that I'd go instead of Point Lobos. FWIW

Other than Phil who launches at Lobos, I believe the Beach Hopper II makes you meet at K-dock early for paper work and to put your gear on the boat, then you drive to Lobos and they pick you up. Of course I have never done this tour, but that is what I have read.

Edit: I know you can ride the Beach Hopper II down to Lobos also. Although you will still have to check in at the gate.

Last edited:
I think you can charter any of the Mocal boats to come get the dive party from Whalers cove as opposed to K-dock. The thing is that you will still need the appropriate amount of dive reservation from Lobos to do this.

Not true. The boat has to have some specific wording in their
insurance policy and a permit from State Parks. AFAIK, only Phil
and the Beach Hopper do this.

Not true. The boat has to have some specific wording in their
insurance policy and a permit from State Parks. AFAIK, only Phil
and the Beach Hopper do this.

Hmm... for some reason I thought the Escapade has done this in the past also.

My mistake.

But if I was going through the trouble to charter a boat, I can think of quite a few places that I'd go instead of Point Lobos. FWIW

Are they sites the Monterey charters visit or secret GPS coordinates? I would like to increase my appreciation for Monterey diving without joining the SEALS. :D

I believe the Beach Hopper II makes you meet at K-dock early for paper work and to put your gear on the boat, then you drive to Lobos and they pick you up. .

Yes, that is what we did.

Dannobee, isn't it possible that a boat leaving from Pt. Lobos would get to some interesting topography more quickly and perhaps in conditions where a boat leaving the bay would turn back? The last time I went out on the Escapade, they couldn't leave the bay, and I wished I had just shore dived from Lobos instead.

Dannobee, isn't it possible that a boat leaving from Pt. Lobos would get to some interesting topography more quickly and perhaps in conditions where a boat leaving the bay would turn back? The last time I went out on the Escapade, they couldn't leave the bay, and I wished I had just shore dived from Lobos instead.

True. But the problem with the ramp at Point Lobos is that it's too short and has an abrupt drop-off for any boat bigger than Chuck's (~17ft). And even then, Chuck's diligent about watching tides so that he can launch/recover the boat.

Phil's boat has a custom trailer that allows him to even put the boat on his front lawn (and recover it, as well).

The problem with the big boats going around the corner isn't that the boat won't make it, but that the passenger's are far more likely to get sea-sick.

Now, for us, it's a rare day that we won't go around the corner and dive Carmel. If the swell is under 10-12 ft and the wind is under 15-20kts, we'll go. If it's over that, we'll likely just stay home because diving in Monterey bay will be lousy, too.

If I'm just diving Point Lobos, I'll likely take my micro-yacht and just unroll it from the bed of my truck and save the headache of towing one of the bigger boats.

Back
Top Bottom