LOB passenger killed by exploding cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This happened in Brazil a few days ago.

A passenger on a liveaboard boat called Luz do Dia near the port city of Angra dos Reis in the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil died when a cylinder on board the boat exploded while it was being charged. The compressor and cylinder were below deck, and the cylinder was apparently one that was used to bank air for quick fills of scuba tanks. The explosion, which took place at 4:40 a.m. destroyed part of the boat, bringing beams and other structures down onto the diver who was sleeping in the vicinity. He reportedly died of injuries sustained when he was struck in the neck by a piece of wood. The tank itself came apart, leaving the bottom section embedded in the planking of the deck while the top half shot off the boat and into the ocean. The explosion was apparently very violent and resulted in a number of scuba tanks being pushed off the boat as well as the loss of whole gear bags, destruction of equipment, shredding of wetsuits, and so on. The other 15 people aboard the boat were uninjured. There is speculation on some Portuguese language dive boards that the cylinder in question was corroded and perhaps had not been inspected recently. To Mr. Augusto Georgini, 50, rest in peace; and to the family, friends and dive companions of the victim, my most sincere condolences.
Here is a Portuguese language media report of the incident.

Very sad to hear... my condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

You know, in the various places I've traveled, I've seen a lot of steel cylinders that wouldn't pass inspection here in the US, and it has always made me nervous. This is scary!

You know, in the various places I've traveled, I've seen a lot of steel cylinders that wouldn't pass inspection here in the US, and it has always made me nervous. This is scary!

I've seen some here in the US where the steel tank and valve have become "one". I won't use the dive op again. There were tanks on the boat that I refused to use. No VIP stickers on the tanks either.

This is scary, I've been on this boat various times and I've slept in the cabins that are directly below where the group of large banked cylinders stand on the foredeck.

Of course the article makes the usual slip of referring to the explosion of an "oxygen cylinder".

It makes me wonder whether the compressor didn't cut out and pumped the cylinders up to a stupidly high pressure or whether the cylinder bank has never been dismantled and hydro'd since it was installed some years ago. Quite different from a shop application where the bank would be protected. Here the bank sits on the foredeck open to the elements. So of course corrosion is a real possibility.
Well the result of the inquiry should be out in about 90 days so we'll have to wait and see.

I was just looking back at my photos from previous trips on this boat.
The bank wasn't there in February 2004 but it was there in April 2004 so must have been installed in March 2004.
I just hope it was dismantled and VIPed since then.

Attachments

• DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 285
I wonder what type of compressor they had? Our Bauer compressor has a pressure switch that cuts off the compressor if any of our banks reach a psi that we can set. They must not have had that, or the tank was a mess. It could be either or both problems...

Mike, thanks for posting all that information. It hadn't been clear to me just where the cylinder bank was in relation to 1) the compressor or 2) the cabin, and I see that I was mistaken in my understanding.

Leaving steel tanks exposed to the elements and subjecting them to repeated filling and emptying would logically require quite a lot of attention to inspection. I guess it remains to be learned whether these inspections were actually carried out. Please, when the results of the investigation are made public, update us here!

The scuba community in Brazil is small and close-knit, and I can only imagine how shocked and sad everybody must be. You have my sympathy.

Back
Top Bottom