Living out of the states

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tracydr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
North Carolina, 3 miles from South Carolina
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are thinking about moving somewhere besides the 50 US states in two years after I finish my family practice residency. Has anyone had experience in actually living in some of the great dive destinations of the caribbean, mexico or the south pacific? What is it like and what do we need to know about living/working outside the US? Any recommendations on an easy, relatively inexpensive place to live with good diving? Don't mind learning spanish in the next two years if needed. Could be fluent in French if immersed for a month or two. I am a doctor so will need to find somewhere that is easy to get licensed as an osteopathic physician and that pay for a physician is reasonable. Don't care if we're wealthy but don't want to be missionary poor at this point in our lives either. Do need to start thinking about saving money for retirement,investing, etc. Thanks for any insite you may have! Tracy:doctor:

Tracy, we lived for 2 years on a sailboat in the Bahamas running our own sail/dive charter. We were based out of Nassau (New Providence Island).

Email me if you want more info. :)

~SubMariner~

is that you want to be paid well. Unlikely, flat out impossible in the Caribbean. You might look at Australia. how about Hawaii?

Tom

Doing it now in Grand Cayman. :D

American trained doctors are in some demand throughout the Caribbean, and work permits can often be had. Decent pay limits the choices substantially.

The Cayman Islands boast one of the highest standards of living in the Caribbean basin. I can only assume that physician pay would be reflected in the comparative prosperity of the islands.

Oh, and the diving isn't half bad either! :wink:

Tracydr,

Sometimes I wish I was living down in the Carib or back in Thailand or just about anywhere but good ole "cold" Wisconsin. But then I remember a few things:

1) Living on an island means that everything needs to be imported. Literally everything!

2) Warm weathered Islands usually means a lot of wild and stray dogs. I like to jog and it was impossible when I spent some time on St. Croix. Dogs everywhere.

3) Good food is expensive and jobs usually are not as easy to come by.

4) Most islands I saw usually had its fill of old cars, garbage and litter. Since shipping it off the islands is expensive, the garbage can pile up.

5) Lower pay, longer hours, less diving.

But thats just my opinion. I would love to move down to sunny tropical islands, but then I recall why I live in the states. Also, not much call for network engineer on the islands!:)

Good luck in your search and I hope it all works out!

Thanks,
Red Rover

Hi Tracy,

Living out of the states isn't too bad. In Jamaica you can get your license to practice fairly easily with proof of your US license. Getting the work permit takes about 2 months. Depending on your lifestyle, cost of living isn't too bad except for imported brands, i.e., Gilette, Heinz, Keebler, etc., which has a 15% tax.

The weather's beautiful, people for the most part are decent to deal with. Only thing that drives me nuts is the laid back attitude about everything. They work at their own pace or they don't work at all.

Actually, we're enjoying being out of the rat race.

Good luck with your choice!

Back
Top Bottom