Living on a boat- has anybody done it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, I forgot one other very important thing. When looking for a boat, get one with a seperate shower stall otherwise you won't use it and when you do, it trashes the head.

Another thing to consider is that most boats don't have laundry facilities so get used to using a laundromat. Living on a boat is a lot like living in a camper, it can be done but be prepared for a completely different lifestyle.

When I was in high school, my mom, dad, younger sister, younger brother and I lived aboard a 38 foot tri-cabin powerboat for around 3 years. Before that we spent a bunch of 3 or 4 month stretches aboard. You need to love boats before you ever think about being a live aboard. You also need to recognize that there can be no clutter and you must be good at throwing away junk.

I would not trade the experience for the world.

Warning, most marinas don't allow live aboards. Also, keep in mind there is a huge difference between living aboard a boat and living in a shack on a floating platform.

shoupart:
Hey, has anybody lived on a boat for an extended period of time? like a sailboat or something?

I was kinda toying with the idea and it sounded pretty fun. If anybody's tried it, I'm curious to hear how you liked it, how expensive it was to keep up, etc- the hard parts, the easy parts.

It seems to me that it'd be fun to buy some boat outright on Craigslist or whatever, stop paying rent on a house for a while, move onto the boat and cut back.
I'm sure there's a mountain of expenses like maintenance costs, plus slip fees, fuel, etc... So what's it all come down to?

Living on a boat? Now why didn't I think of that before... :11:

klubbhamn.jpg

This is something I am also considering. I retire in 4 months. Grew up at Jersey shore and have run up to 40' twin screw. Now am looking into living/traveling on a boat. Wife has no experience to speak of. Now what about min. size for two people(was thinking somewhere around 30-35'), we are use to living in RV from time to time. Any real good books out there on this?? Plan on doing boat courses with Mrs. this summer for a refresher and a beginning for her.No set time limit. Plan to do ICW NJ - Fla. and then maybe over to islands. I see fuel as biggest expense at the moment. Glad to listen to any ideas,just now in beginning of planning stages. Thanks All

Two things not often considered... boats rarely appreciate in value.

Moisture control is a PITA. Showering and cooking create lots of humidity which needs to be managed via fresh air and heat source. There's an art to this for sure.

If you are not already a boater and very handy with tools and boat issues I suggest getting some boating experience 1st.

PS I lived on a 34' trawler (on and off) for 3 years

Cool, thank you for all the help and suggestions. I'll definitely take courses and stuff before I get into this and make sure I'm fully prepared and overprepared.

I second the boat mechanic thing, If you can't fix anything and everything on a boat don't do it, its that simple.
Also consider the drive type, a true inboard as opposed to an I/O is a huge bonus for maintainance if its in the water all the time.
True house boat vs. large cruiser. More of a how do you use it issue.
Dinghy? Maybe a RIB on a crane if your big enough. Allows docking in bizarre places for supplies like emergency 5 gallon cans of gas and food. Try beaching a 40 foot cruiser on a shallow sloped bottom sometime without turning the inside of the engine into a sandbar.

I have been living on a survey vessel for about 6 years now but the same situation as Dennis all I need to do is the survey work and the boat crew does all of the boat work so its not a bad deal for me. I have thought about living on a boat a few times but working on a boat I realize what it takes to keep a boat going for a long time.

First thought is that living on a boat is definitely not cheaper than living on land. Annual costs vary greatly depending on the where the boat is berthed, the type of boat and your mechanical skills. If you use the boat for extensive cruising (traveling to distant lands), then there may be some economy when compared to the total cost of airfare, hotels, meals, etc...

Berths are priced by the boat's length overall (LOA) and can run from $4 to over $12 a foot. Sometimes water, electricity and sewage disposal is included, but usually not.

Insurance varies according to boat type, construction, electronics, etc.., but the annual average cost is about ~2% of hull value with a premium if the boat stays in hurricane prone areas during hurricane season.

If you're not mechanically inclined and/or dislike doing routine maintenance chores, then I would not even venture to guess what annual maintenance costs could be.

Space is also a big factor. I know a lot of couples who have stopped being a couple after moving on to a sailboat, but also know of a few couples whose relationship has gotten stronger.

Definitely take a boating course and and gain experience in boat handling. Couples kiss, but boats may not.

PM me with any specific questions.

Cap'n Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom