Living at altitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

optimator

Registered
Reaction score
I have an altitude diving question. I live at 6800'. I am going to drive 2 hours to do 2 dives in a lake at 4000' max depth of 60'. Then drive 2 hours back home.

I have an Atom 2.0 computer that will correct the depth for altitude and feet of fresh water. When I arrive at the dive site the computer will calculate the altitude at 4000' and give me a ndl of 40 minutes.

I'm thinking the correct way to do this is to say the dive takes place at 7000' and use a ndl of 34 minutes. Is this correct? My confusion is that my tissues are saturated with a 6800' of nitrogen (I don't know how to say it exactly) so that when I arrive at the site I will be on-gassing nitrogen before the dive starts.

Now the next part of the question... I plan on diving EAN32. Altitude correction for 7000' at 60' depth is 78' rounding to 80' gives me a 45 minute NDL for EAN32. Am I on track? What additional considerations do I need to think about?

Thanks!

Sorry you're not getting qualified answers here. You been a member for a year and this is your third post?

Anyway, I will suggest this is incorrect: "...when I arrive at the site I will be on-gassing nitrogen before the dive starts. Nope. You're moving down to more barometric pressure so you will actually be on-gassing on arrival. Plan the dive for 4,000 ft.

Descending in altitude does not present a problem. Plan your dive for your actual altitude using the conversion tables. When returning home give your self an interval before ascending, be especially aware of any passes along your route that are higher than your final destination. If you were coming up from a lower altitude you would treat your first dive as your second and your second dive as your third.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom