Liveaboards in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12gauge

New
Reaction score
Hello fellow divers!

My wife and I are interested in liveaboards in Belize. We've looked at Peter Hughes and Aggressor - both seem similar.

Any advice on who to go with?

Thanks!

-12gauge

We did the Belize Aggressor and really enjoyed it. I've done several Aggressor trips and always have wonderful staff, good food, great diving. I've also done Peter Hughes before and also liked them, they did seem to pamper you a bit more than Aggressor but not so much that it makes a big difference.

Hope you have fun.
Suzanne : )

Thanks for the info. That recent thread is indeed a good one.

Another question if I may. My wife and I enjoy variety in our liveaboard diving, i.e. small colourful reefs to wall dives to deep to larger critters. Most of our diving has been in South Asia and Australia.

Is Belize the right choice? We were impressed by the dive map - seemed to have the variety we were looking for. Are the dive sites overly busy? Some people seem to be negative towards Blue Hole. Why is this?

Really appreciate the help and insight.

Regards,

-12gauge

I don't know about sites off Ambergris, but sites where the liveaboards go will not be busy, except perhaps for the Blue Hole. You will dive a variety of walls and reefs. As far as large critters, you'll probably spot some rays (mostly eagles cruising the walls, the occasional manta if you're lucky), some reef sharks, lots of tarpon at night, and some big schools of larger fish like jacks (especially at night, or late afternoon when they seem to like to gather in the shadow below the boat.) Turtles too.

I suggest doing a search on the Blue Hole, lots of people give reasons for liking it or not. I did a poll awhile ago in this thread. It was unique and I'm sort of glad I did it once, but I found it mostly a waste of a dive. I would have preferred to do other dives instead of one that was so short with little to no life to see (I didn't get lucky with sharks or anything like some people do.) And 130+ feet straight up and down is hard on my ears. Some people have issues with some ops taking new divers there that really aren't ready to dive that deep, and with no bottom.

12gauge:
Another question if I may. My wife and I enjoy variety in our liveaboard diving, i.e. small colourful reefs to wall dives to deep to larger critters. Is Belize the right choice?

Only if you want to expand your diving careers. Inside that colorful reef that many view as a landscape for pellagics to swim by... inside the nooks and hidey-holes... if you use a flashlight and maybe even a magnifying glass- you'll see what Belize has to offer. If you come looking for "small colourful reefs to wall dives to deep to larger critters", you may well be disappointed.

We were impressed by the dive map - seemed to have the variety we were looking for. Are the dive sites overly busy?

Moored dive sites are just that. The only divers at most of them will be from your live aboard.

Some people seem to be negative towards Blue Hole. Why is this?

You have heard some of the reasons. The one that I hold in the highest is the fact that it is quite remote and can be 140fsw with no problem. Go, get your "ticket punched" but if you need medical help, it's 2 hours away. Good to go?
-12gauge

You missed at least one boat that works this area. The Nekton. You missed a lot.:14: Check it out in the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=117660 referenced above.

Back
Top Bottom