Liveaboards Canceling trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buster243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been reading more and more about liveaboards canceling trips—sometimes right before departure—and not issuing refunds. Some cancellations are due to not having enough divers, others because the ship is out of commission, yet they still don't refund the money. I get weather issues. but really? At best, they offer a credit valid for up to a year. Is this a common practice? Do they not realize you often lose your airfare, or do they just not care? I've seen reports from reputable companies about this issue, which makes me wonder how widespread this issue is. Has anyone else in this group experienced this? I'm not looking to call out specific companies, but it's making me seriously consider "cancel for any reason" insurance for every trip. Regular trip insurance (including DAN) doesn't cover this if the provider cancels—unless you have the "cancel for any reason" option.

I can't say how honest the liveaboard industry was pre-Covid, but I can say from personal experience with Siren Fleet/Master Liveaboards/Blue-O-Two (now bankrupt and under conservatorship, last I read), and others' experiences post-Covid, many liveaboard companies are regularly ripping off divers. Siren tried to keep over $7000 of my funds for liveaboard travel that they cancelled in May 2020. I was able to get a chargeback on my credit card, only after a long fight. It took about three months. The link below was an ongoing post during Covid. You can also see a spreadsheet on Post #12.

I have a very dim view of the liveaboard industry, not only based on my experience but hearing others' stories. When they're not ripping us off, they're sinking boats. It's a buyer-beware situation now. You've got to do a lot of research, and, yes, seriously consider "cancel for any reason" insurance.

Feel free to name names. We all need to know about the bad behaviors of these companies.

Maybe we, as divers, need to boycott LOBS that don't take better care of their customers. I'm interested in doing one but I hear too many ripoff stories.

Maybe we, as divers, need to boycott LOBS that don't take better care of their customers. I'm interested in doing one but I hear too many ripoff stories.
I've had good experiences in dealing with the Explorer Ventures fleet, and some bad experiences dealing with the Aggressor fleet.

I have good experience with Master Liveaboards.

Back in May 2020, they cancelled my trip on French Polynesia Master after the boat ran aground. Covid pandemic also didn’t help the situation either. After waiting for 2 years to no avail. they compensated me by giving me 2 back-to-back trip on Galapagos Master.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom