Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kleppta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have managed to convince my none diving wife, to 'alow' me to go on a diving only trip by myself this winter.

This being said I think I will do a liveaboard.

Read alot of stuff on various cruises offered is this and other Scuba Board groups.

I think I have narrowed it down to three.

But before I envite comments on the 3 finalists let me qualify.

I have done a fair bit of diving but most resort type stuff. This will be my first real 'dive trip'. (Thus the reason for a liveaboard-lots of diving) I am AOW and have about 25 dives logged. I would like to get my Nitrox cert and will probably do the written and pratical stuff before hand and the dive portion while away. I am not prejudice against any spot as I have said my diving experiance has been limited to 'not great dive locations. ie Jamacia, St Lucia, St Martin, my cottage :dazzler1: ect. Also price is not really a factor. I have enough air miles to get me a first class flight to heaven. So thats free. Budget no more than $1500.00 US. Otherwise I have to do some covert ops to the wife doesn't hang me...it was hard enough to get consent to a week away without her.

Here's what I have so far;

Blackbeards.

Pro's - Cheap, Easy to get to, Cheap

Con's- Cramped, 32 people per boat?(to many if you ask me), no nitrox

Nekton Pilot.

Pro's: Location(Belize!), Nirtox, Spacious

Con's: # of people?, I don't think I can do Nirtrox cert on the boat.

Explorer I or II.

Pro's: Nirtrox(and referal is ok),small number of guests
Con's: ?

It would seem I am leaning toward the Explorer I or II. THe only hesitation I have is that Belize seems like a great location.

Comments or other suggestions?

Kleppta

Kleppta:
Blackbeards.

Pro's - Cheap, Easy to get to, Cheap

Con's- Cramped, 32 people per boat?(to many if you ask me), no nitrox
Kleppta
Never been, but I did see the boat while aboard the Nekton Rorqual in the Bahamas and it looked damn small to me.

Kleppta:
Nekton Pilot.

Pro's: Location(Belize!), Nirtox, Spacious

Con's: # of people?, I don't think I can do Nirtrox cert on the boat.
Kleppta

I was aboard the Rorqual (above) in July and loved it. We only had 18 out of the possible people aboard, so overcrowding was never an issue. From what I hear, if you're not in a rush to be the first in, the dive deck doesn't get overly crowded. I enjoyed it so much that I will be going aboard the Pilot in Belize in Oct or Nov (maybe I'll see you there). I'm surprised to hear that they won't do Nitrox certs.

Kleppta:
Explorer I or II.

Pro's: Nirtrox(and referal is ok),small number of guests
Con's: ?

It would seem I am leaning toward the Explorer I or II. THe only hesitation I have is that Belize seems like a great location.
Kleppta
I was aboard the Explorer I in April (Turks and Caicos) and I had a blast. Again I lucked out and it was underbooked (8 out of 16 if memory serves).
Definetly less spacious than the Rorqual, but still a great trip.

It sounds as though you've narrowed your choices down to some good ones. My only suggestion, if you are able to, would be to book towards the last minute and pick the boat that has the least amount of berths booked. I've done this on both liveaboards I've been on and in speaking to other travelers I have found that the fewer the people, the more enjoyable the trip is. Also in comparing the Explorer to the Rorqual, I can see where 18 on the Explorer would be about the same as having 30+ on the Rorqual.

Definetly get that Nitrox Cert...it's the only way to go on this kind of trip.

Not sure if this helped or hurt, good luck and maybe I'll run into you in Belize.

Jeff

I worked on a liveaboard (Sea Fever) for 4 years and it is the best kind of dive vacation. I've never been below decks on the Blackbeard boats but know some ex crew and it is definately roughing it. We are next door neighbors with the Bay Islands Aggressor and the guests we've spoken to rave about it. You'll be doing a lot of diving so I'd go with an outfit that has nitrox.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom