Liveaboard tipping, what is the local custom?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive instructor you don't earn much. So you know the people on the boat won't be earning much too. That's why I give them around 1 million IDR. . . .

So why doesn't the boat just add a 1 million IDR surcharge up front to your trip cost, to make up for the fact that they are not paying the people on their boat enough?

Nobody gives me tips for the job I AM PAID to do (and I don't ask either) so I don't sweat it that much thinking how much I should tip when I feel generous and I do decide to tip.
I have some rules though:
pushing for a tip using all sorts of methods? no tip.
cutting the dives short and having bad attitude? no tip.
not going the extra mile to have a dive (i.e. weather too bad BS, etc.)? no tip.
much less than advertised dives? no tip.

And in the occasions that I do tip I don't tip a certain % because it is ridiculous. I have been on a £650 liveaboard (normal price £1500) and a £4K one so either 65 or 400 would be wrong. I usually tip between 100-150USD.
And if a crew member has been exceptional (fixed my gear, pickup up my mask, etc) I tip individually <$50.

So why doesn't the boat just add a 1 million IDR surcharge up front to your trip cost, to make up for the fact that they are not paying the people on their boat enough?
Well, I heard that they are getting to much used to Australians, Germans and Americans tipping so much anyway. Even if they would say it on the bill: tip included already...
I don't know for sure. I didn't get tipped much with money, I worked on the Gilis, a backpackers island. I got a beer in the evening, what is more than fine too. I didn't work to get tips, I worked because I love diving. But I understand it is a very nice welcome for the locals that sometimes didn't even get 2 million a month. That's why I also understand they play with the wildlife. For them even 50.000 is already food for the day. When we heard or saw our people do it, they got a good scolding for it!

Last edited:
:D

Viewed from that perspective, I admit it may seem weird. I never thought I'd call Aswar "Curly" too.

I am simply deciphering the dive manager's logics and trying to demonstrate the absurdity I find in it :

Starting point : we will agree that Aswar gets the best tips because he's a nice divebuddy and as well as a skillful guide who's aware of the do and don'ts.
At the end of the day the dive manager looks into his crystal tipball trying to check who's done what.

If I apply the Dive manager's theorem,, we'll call Aswar "Curly" for the tips he collected, he will get reprimanded for cheating while he's only being so nice with his clients and found that rhinopias that wasn't seen for months because he knew from the cold temperature/the moon phase it would be around. :(

If I apply the reverse logics of the dive manager's theorem, Diveguide Moe (who's despised by all the rhinopias around for playing with his stick) didn't get any tip from Chilly because he was systematically poking the frogfish while trying to have it yawn, ...eventually he gets half of Aswar's tip from the manager's hand. :eek:

So in the end what I think is that tipping my guide is none of the manager's regard.
First off it's my money and I do what I want with it, i don't need to be patronized with shady tipping logics.(That also goes when I am advised giving a ridiculous 10% tip)
Secondly, I would rather advise the manager to do some management job (organizing work, motivating his team, training the newbies, listening to clients,...) instead of counting money which is either the accountant or the cashier's job. Who needs a operation manager that counts money? you don't manage the customer money in this position, you manage your team.

You know, I even think that this way of splitting tips equally is another mean for preventing explanations, in other words NOT managing the team.by explaining why Curly/Aswar had more tips than others.

The manager didn't lead me to believe he reshuffled the tips, only that he wanted an indicator.
Could as easily have been that perhaps he'd want Curly to train other guides not doing as well.

So let me see if I've got this straight now with regard to tipping (in Indonesia) on a liveaboard or a dive resort.

The going rate is around $150 USD for 10 days?

So let me see if I've got this straight now with regard to tipping (in Indonesia) on a liveaboard or a dive resort.

The going rate is around $150 USD for 10 days?

Sounds reasonable if the going rate is Rp.100.000,- ($7.5) / crew / day.

I'm re-estimating my overly generous tip for my upcoming liveaboard. We will have 16 crews and 13 divers for 13 days on the boat. So $7.5 x 16 x 13 / 13 = $120/ diver. If the trip is for 10 days, then it would $7.5 x 16 x 10 / 13 = $92.3, rounding it up to $100/diver.

My British friends will be much relieved and frankly, so will I.

I would say to start find out local customs.

So not trying to stir the pot but most people do not know the history of tipping. TIPS is an acronym. To Insure Promt Service. Originally a tip was given at the beginning of the meal or trip to make sure they get some extra attention.

Amount of or when to tip is differnt based on country. Most European countries tipped employees are still getting paid a full wage. In the US a tipped employee can make as low as $3.09 USD. With out tips they will starve.

I will say I have never stayed on a liveaboard but in many cases from sitting at the bar to the dive boat giving a tip at beginning of event will make sure you get good service. Yes it is possible to tip and get a person that is having a bad day. But even that person will give you more attention from that bad employee.

So not trying to stir the pot but most people do not know the history of tipping. TIPS is an acronym. To Insure Promt Service. Originally a tip was given at the beginning of the meal or trip to make sure they get some extra attention.
Could be that the etymology of the words used for tips helps define in each country the level of tipping that is expected.
France's Pourboire or Germany's Trinkgeld are similar and litterally translate to "money for a drink". Seems some people in the world interpret tips like "give'em enough money to get pissed everyday" .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom