Liveaboard suggestions for Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnhill

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning a trip for May to Belize and want to try a liveaboard. I am looking for suggestions as to what company to use. Any useful comments would be appreciated. I have read comments about the Peter Hughes boat and the hurricane, but I am looking for objective reports of people who have been on these boats. Lastly, I have been to Cozumel many times and wonder how the diving compares to there.

Thanks in advance

dnhill

Hi

I dont think you can go wrong with either of the liveaboard boats that operate out of Belize both run excellent operations the diving is certainly world class at the Belize Atolls and while cozumel has better visability they are hard pressed to compete for better diving than Belize's Atolls.

I am sure you will get a lot more comments form past visitors to Belize one things for sure you will have a great trip no matter which boat you choose to go with

Have Fun & Dive Safe

Gaz Cooper

dnhill:
I am planning a trip for May to Belize and want to try a liveaboard. I am looking for suggestions as to what company to use. Any useful comments would be appreciated. I have read comments about the Peter Hughes boat and the hurricane, but I am looking for objective reports of people who have been on these boats. Lastly, I have been to Cozumel many times and wonder how the diving compares to there.

Thanks in advance

dnhill

I have never personally dove Belize, but have dove with Aggressor in both Turks & Caicos, as well as Galapagos. They were both incredible! Aggressor does a great job. I certainly don't think you would be dissappointed. Aggressor does a great job...no matter where they are.

Dave

I have booked the Belize Aggressor for May 8th. Can't wait. Let me know if others are going.

dnhill

Stay away from Peter Hughes or anyone associated with them. They don't like to take responsibility for their actions. See Belize wreck in I believe 2001. Do some homework before you book.........IMO

5615mike:
Do some homework before you book.........IMO

Too late, he already booked after the few replies.

I would suggest to any and all to take a good look at the reputable Nekton Fleet which operates on of their unique and fabulous SWATH vessels in the Belize area. I have been aboard this cruise twice and it was better than any other land based op in terms of diving and better than any other current or previous area liveaboard in terms of quality and comfort.

That is just my opinion, but I've seen 'em all.

RoatanMan,

Yeah, I gave it a few days for replys and found few suggestions forthcoming. I reviewed every message on this board that had the name of a live aboard in it, including other destinations. I had a need to get the trip put together due to scheduling in my office. I appreciate your response and perhaps I will have the opportunity to compare boat to boat as you have been able to. I found most had a good trip without regard to the operation. Perhaps the reason these business are still in operation is that they all do a pretty good job.

I will be most happy to provide a detailed review when I return.

Isn't it fun to plan the next trip??

dnhill

And that's not a bad thing!

dnhill:
perhaps I will have the opportunity to compare boat to boat as you have been able to. I found most had a good trip without regard to the operation. Perhaps the reason these business are still in operation is that they all do a pretty good job. I will be most happy to provide a detailed review when I return. dnhill

The Nekton docks at the Government Pier, a large metal contraption that Cruise Ships use to tie up. It is located South of town, a 15 minute drive away from the dock that any other Live Aboard would use. Thus, only Nekton guests would have the opportunity to even see another live aboard- since Nekton guests are parked at the Hotel in town for 5 hours (during boat cleaning time) to relax, swim and walk out on the smaller wooden pier that all other live aboards are tied to. Nekton guests get to look at their other options- a bit late, but at least they get to look.

Like you say, "most had a good trip without regard to the operation". I used to think the Bahamas (or Jamaica or Cozumel) was the bestest place ever... until I sampled many more. Don't misunderstand, you've picked a world class dive operation no matter which you're doing.

It's just unfortunate that posts (or trip reviews) don't come with a "dive experience history" log so that we could understand from where this particular opinion comes.

The ships have their fans. Most that have dived on both prefer the Nekton due to it's staff, food and comfort of the boat. BUT- Most first time Belizian divers pick other boats because the Nekton doesn't do the fabled Blue Hole. The Nekton draws too much water to ease thru the hole that Captain Cousteau dynamited thru it. Once you've seen the Blue Hole (necessitating a dive to 130fsw to see some stalactites), you've seen it. The best view is from the air aboard TACA flying from Houston to Roatan. No big deal.

Then momentum kicks in. I did this live aboard before, I'm going back. This is the opposite of my dive trip selection policy. No, I hate planning trips. We will do 3 or 4 trips per year to someplace new, but we always manage to do at least one trip on a Nekton and CoCoView after those new trips. Variety is good, reliable excellence is arguably better.

Anybody want something really new and cool? Look at the Bay Islands Aggressor going to Cisne/Swan Islands North of Roatan. Not my favorite boat, but then again I liked the Antares Dancer because she took me to so many wrecks in Los Roques. Sometimes the dive location dictates the mode of transport. Adjustments are worth it... sometimes.

dnhill:
I have booked the Belize Aggressor for May 8th. Can't wait. Let me know if others are going.

dnhill

I am also looking at using a liveaboard for May 8th time period. This will be our first trip to Belize. I would like to stay over a couple of days after liveaboard trip. Any suggestions? Would it be a good time for a whale shark sighting trip from Palencia?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom