Liveaboard sinks in Egyptian Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . . . .
"no problem!" was said repeatedly followed by, "just a problem when we were trying to raise anchor... Its fine!!!! come have a look..."

So we go below... :::standing in water above our ankles::: "I’m not entirely sure this is how ships are supposed to be run" (Russian mfg boat, African captain, Egyptian crew, all the controls are written in Cyrillic.. wee.)

He mumbles something about "water ballast" and that there is "a pump" and thats the end of the tour. . . . . . .

LOL; certianly hope he was not serious, any water in a boat that is where is should not be is "free surface water" and this can become extremely dangerous for boats . . . . kinda messes up the whole stability issue . . . . . Pump/s are only good while they are working . . . .

One would expect that they mad some attempt to plug the hole until it could be repaired in port . . . .

Glad no one was hurt. Reminds me of the scene in Fool's Gold when they are diving and you see the boat gently sink to the ocean floor behind them.

.....I still can't decide which 'scuba' movie was stupider......'Fool's Gold' or 'Into The Blue'.......Jessica is easy on the eyes but non-stop superhuman endurance free-diving
was a complete waste of all that beautiful Bahamas water!

...but thanks for the update, Mark!

The 11 divers on board were in the water on their second dive, so the captain couldn't use the engines to prevent the grounding.

Everyone on board was safely taken off by the Egyptian Navy and other dive boats

One of the dutchmen on board has posted a short message on the dutch forum. Interestingly, he claims the Egyptian coast guard was not involved in the rescue, and that there were no divers in the water at the time of the incident.

Lots of praise for Emperor though.

.....I still can't decide which 'scuba' movie was stupider......'Fool's Gold' or 'Into The Blue'.......Jessica is easy on the eyes but non-stop superhuman endurance free-diving
was a complete waste of all that beautiful Bahamas water!

...but thanks for the update, Mark!

We'll need to split off into a new thread if we go there... but apparently Jessica Alba trained to hold her breath for 5 minutes with Dive-Tek in Cayman for the role. Not bad for someone who weighs 95 pounds dripping wet.

I didn't need to add 'dripping wet', but it perks up my morning to think of her that way...

:focus:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom