Liveaboard Similians MANTA QUEEN 3 vs MV CAMIC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@QAQTAT

I think we will be ok with small current. It's the sea after all :) How is with depth of dive sites? I'm writing with operators there to ask about details and both suggested to do with them AOWD so we can go deeper then 18m. Is it really necessary to go deeper so we can enjoy dive on Similians or just them trying to up sell ?

One of the operators suggested that it is enough to do "adventure deep dive" so that we can go deeper. I do not understand it completely, it seemed to me to be able to dive up to 30m needs AOWD and not just "adventure deep dive"
At some of the Similans sites and at Tachai you have to go deeper to really enjoy the site. Whether AOIW or Adventure deep is required depends on the operator, also whether Adventure deep is enough depends on the operator.

Have you considered doing a days of diving beforehand, get used to local habits and maybe even Adventure Deep? Manta Queen is a big operation with strict rules set by the company, guides and tourleaders will adhere to those rules. I don't know enough about Camic to see if there is more flexibility there. Personally e.g. if I'm diving with someone and they're very much ok, as you'd notice on a checkdive, I have no problem taking people deeper than 18 meters.

On most boats 2 towels are provided, and those are changed after the second day, for most people that is more than enough.On Deep Andaman Queen all cabins are en-suite.

Yes, we're newbies with around 15 dives each. What difficulties can we expect in Similians?

You will enjoy more if you are more experienced!
To sit out a dive because the sea is a bit rough or the site is too deep for the qualification is waste of money and time.
Current is another consideration especially under water!

I dove the north Similan islands Christmas of 2018. For me up to that point it was the most difficult diving I had done, but I never felt like it was outside my ability. Some notes:

we usually started every dive at around 25ish meters and worked up from there

I would say almost every dive had some amount of current. Sometimes we would have to turn around and go a different way if it was too strong. One dive they told us it would probably be calm, and we ended up a mile down current at the end! My first time to do a drift dive like that...but it was also the most fun and memorable dive of the trip!

we also had some rough oceans, even though we were out in the dry season. Only time I’ve ever gotten seasick. Make sure you bring your drug of choice for it.

I thought it was a fun and inexpensive liveaboard trip.

Adventure diver course is like a subset of AOW course. Once you finish the adventure deep dive, you can dive to 30m.

Didn't know that, thanks!

So how is with night dives? I need to do full "specialty course" to dive at night or just "adventure night dive"?

Have you considered doing a days of diving beforehand, get used to local habits and maybe even Adventure Deep?

Yes, we will dive in Phi Phi around 10 dives. Now We're considering Adventure deep. I didn't before because i thought that i have to do full AOWD. If we will do it ill have to for sure take 15L tank because my sac rate sucks and deeper diving for sure will not help with that.

dove the north Similan islands Christmas of 2018. For me up to that point it was the most difficult diving I had done, but I never felt like it was outside my ability.

Now i'm starting considering to dive somewhere else :D I watch a lot of YT videos of diving in Similians and it looks quite calm:D

It's just that when we're traveling we don't like coming back to often to places that we've been to so if not now i don't know if we will have chance to dive similians.

Now i'm starting considering to dive somewhere else :D I watch a lot of YT videos of diving in Similians and it looks quite calm:D

It's just that when we're traveling we don't like coming back to often to places that we've been to so if not now i don't know if we will have chance to dive similians.
I should say at that time I only had about 20 dives, so similar to where you are at! It might be challenging but u would expect it’s within your abilities.

So how is with night dives? I need to do full "specialty course" to dive at night or just "adventure night dive"?
You should check with your operator. I don't think night specialty is required to do a night dive. On my trip, they just asked who wanted to do the night dives. You'll have a dive guide so don't worry. They'll tell you what to do before the dive. They'll most likely to choose a nice, calm place to do the night dive. It should be a short and easy dive. You'll enjoy it.

Most time Similans is calm and it's a really nice place. My suggestion is keep working on your buoyancy skill in the following months if you can. You still have at least 4 months. If you can master buoyancy skills, Similans would be rather easy.

Didn't know that, thanks!

Yes, we will dive in Phi Phi around 10 dives. Now We're considering Adventure deep. I didn't before because i thought that i have to do full AOWD. If we will do it ill have to for sure take 15L tank because my sac rate sucks and deeper diving for sure will not help with that.

If you do adventure deep only, make sure you get proof. It is not a certification course so you won't get a card or online certified. But look at doing full advanced, should cost you around 11,000 Baht, so for 5 dives that is a lot cheaper than doing it on the liveaboard, when you'd be doing no additional dives for 8.500 Baht.

Night is not a required dive for aow, and I know of no liveaboard operator who requires it before making a nightdive.

At Phi Phi, go to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa. Not only good diving, it will give you a good deal more experience in depths and possibly currents.

Regarding air consumption, just relax, it will get better over time. And for some it does not, so you'll have to get used to (paying for) using a bigger tank.

@JacobDBut still there might be small current in some sites..

A slight correction on that. The currents there are almost all tidal and moon related as opposed to storm/season. You'll get more on spring tides than neaps. Sometimes significantly more.
A good operator and guide will select the dive sites and times (and underwater routes) factoring in the currents so it really isnt hard for a customer provided they listen to and follow the brief.
Currents are what gives the area the marine life. The constant flow of nutrients and food are needed to attract the smaller and bigger life so you want some current to see the place at its best.
But for most trips you can expect some degree of current on some sites (especially places like Tachai etc). Its not a problem though as the dives are planned considering those.

I've done a Manta Queen Similans trip (I think MQ8). IMO, these are good trips for inexperienced divers. Actually they are better for inexperienced divers since that is most of the clientele and the dives are tailored to them. They do try to accommodate more experienced divers by putting them in the water first and allowing deeper limits, but that only goes so far. My trip was a bit of a disappointment because they didn't think the divers could handle what I considered fairly mild sea conditions and so instead of going to Richelieu Rock, we kept repeating the same dives in the lee of a couple of the islands. After seeing what a hash many of the divers made of getting on the boat the one time we ended up in an exposed location, I could certainly see their point.

There was no requirement beyond OW to do the one night dive and two "twilight" dives they offered. But OW divers were limited to 18m. If you have a chance, I would get the AOW and nitrox ahead of time. Around half the divers were doing it on the trip and it didn't look they were having fun trying to concentrate on their lessons between dives. 4 or 5 dives a day is very tiring.

I'll add in that stevenl is an excellent instructor and guide. He's also connected to everyone in Phuket (he speaks Thai) if you are looking to book a Phuket or Similans trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom