Liveaboard: Similan & Andaman or Similan & Surin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CattyB

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Thailand during the first 3 weeks of December and are looking for a liveaboard. We are looking for a comfortable, spacious boat but it doesn't have to be extremely luxurious.

Our options thus far are:

MV Philkade: Similan-Richileu, 5d/6n
Mermaid II- Similan- Andaman-6d/7n
Colona VI- Similan-Surin 6d/6n

All 3 trips fit with our schedule and roughly within budget. However they are all different routes so my biggest question is: which is the best? We are both experienced diver (me Rescue, he AOW) and have a slight preference for big fish :)
Having lived in East Timor for a few years I am rather spoiled with awesome diving and he has dived in Koh Lanta before.

So please help us decide!

Super big thanks!!

It's a fair mix of boats. Philkade is super luxury.. Mermaid II is very nice, Colona 6 is mid price, a bit old.. BUT very well run and a great dive boat. You might want to check what's available before deciding on the boat...! I'll say - you'll have a great trip on all of them.

Terminology...

The Philkade and Colona 6 will do more or less the same dive sites "Similan-Richelieu" and "Similan-Surin" are the same - Richelieu Rock is officially part of the Surin Islands National park. In a 5 - 6 days trip you should do some dives in the actual Surin Islands too.

Mermaid II - does what they call the Andaman Safari - it does not dive in the Andaman Islands, but a typical 7 night trip will include Similan Islands and Richelieu Rock (4 days) plus 2 days at Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Ha and Phi Phi. All these dive sites are in the "Andaman Sea". Colona 6 also does these combination 4 day/2 day trips sometimes.

If you want comfortable, spacious and "it doesn't have to be extremely luxurious", well Mermaid 2 might suit best... On the other hand, if you say Philkade is within your budget, go for it!

:)
Jamie

Thanks so much Jamie and mjh!

Jamie: thanks for your clarifications! Since the difference between Mermaid II and Philkade is the additional 2 days in Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Koh Ha and Phi Phi- would you say those extra 8 dives are worth it or should we rather spend a few days on Koh Lanta and do daytrips?

Funnily enough Mermaid is cheaper and means an extra 8 dives, but since I dont know much about the difference between (their short version of) the "Andaman Sea" and Similan I am not sure if we are better off spending more money on Philkade for an overall more comfy experience... Arrgghhh- confused- and very grateful for clever advice! :)

Catty

Ooops! Let me clarify my first part: Make a similan/R.Rock with Philkade and then go to Koh Lanta before or after...:)

Mermaid would be 3 extra dives, not 8.

Philkade is a claa higher than Mermaid II, so in that respect I would recommend Philkade. But if you don't need/want the additional luxury, pay about the same and get 3 extra dives, Mermaid II is a good choice.

Daytrips from Koh lanta to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang are possible, but still quite far on the slow boats. Phi Phi is even firther from Lanta.
Diving wise, I think you would be better of staying on Phuket, where also daytrips to Hin Daeng are possible (although even firther), but the best Phi Phi divesites and the Shark Point area is a lot closer by. You could also stay on Phi Phi of course.

IMO, a longer trip to Similans, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai, Richelieu Rock and maybe even Surin Islands is worth the extra costs, if you feel like more diving you can do the more southern andaman sites on daytrips.

Thanks Steven.
Re Mermaid I mean that we get 8 dives in "andaman sea" since it is in fact a day longer than Philkade.
Now we have narrowed it down to Philkade or Mermaid and are trying to decide which is best since the Mermaid trip entails 1/2 day lost in Phuket for drop off /pick up and we need to figure out whether the overall trip would be better with Philkade. Staying in either Phuket or Phi Phi arent really options as my boyfriend has been there previously and really didnt like either very much...
Thanks again for all help!

The Mermaid trip with 6 days diving has 22 dives. Philkade has 19 dives in 5 days. If Philkade is in your budget, there's no argument...

as for Phuket... your boyfriend has been before... where did he stay? Phuket is a very big island. I love it, but then again I don't go to Patong Beach unless I have to. Have a look at my blog for some of the real Phuket :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom