Liveaboard nightdives question.

On liveaboard I would or I do prefer:

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+ One for early morning dawn dives. I absolutely love watching the reef come to life and wake up.

You should hop on a liveaboard with me and watch me come to life and wake up. I'm not a morning person yet I'm the liveaboard queen. Who knew people had bananas on a boat but put me in the presence of a banana at 6AM and things get mighty interesting..... :rofl3: Just ask @TGIF @G83 @WetPup

I originally liked my night dives after dinner and completely in the dark, but after a few recent trips, the night diving has been better just before dinner. Plus those eel fight videos (which were awesome to begin with) i got in thailand were even better after some beer!

You should hop on a liveaboard with me and watch me come to life and wake up. I'm not a morning person yet I'm the liveaboard queen. Who knew people had bananas on a boat but put me in the presence of a banana at 6AM and things get mighty interesting..... :rofl3: Just ask @TGIF @G83 @WetPup
Way more interesting than a dawn dive for sure.

:sideeye:

You forget that I did see you wake up and make your way to breakfast one or two mornings on a Truth Aquatics liveaboard-- although we should probably call it a CampAboard. Looking through my Dive Log, I think it might have been sometime in the month of November 2016? The 19th or 20th at Santa Cruz Island? :wink:

Speaking of which, I will be back on the Conception for 4 days and nights over Memorial Weekend diving the Southern Channel Islands. Can't wait!

I’ve had the great good fortune to have spent several score of weeks on liveaboards, and have been happy to go with the flow whenever the chance to make dusk, night, or dawn dives were offered. Each type of dive has its own special appeal to me, and the benefits of each type is frequently dependent on location. In the vast majority of cases when such a dive is offered, I take advantage of the opportunity, and adjust my sleeping, dining, and libation ingestion parameters to allow me to make the dive.

A dusk dive in a vibrant tropical location affords the chance to see, (and photograph), the changing of the guard as the day denizens grab a last meal and seek secure lodgings for the coming darkness in what can be a virtual tornado of swirling, bustling, and jaw crunching activity.

The other worldly looking creatures that only come out in the dark are always a delight to see, and drifting along on a black water night dive is perhaps the closest I’ll ever come to the feeling of unaided flight, or performing a space walk out in the cosmos.

Got an opportunity to visit a wreck before the sun rises and being witness to the gradually increasing illumination and stirring of the day shift as the dawn breaks? I’m not going to miss out on that chance.

My perspective on the diving opportunities that are available on a trip is to take advantage of anything that appeals to me and can be done safely; then take care of the other details as a secondary consideration. Happy hour is not that important to me compared to the chance to make an interesting dive, nor is drinking alcohol with dinner if these activities interfere with being able to make a dive in a location that I probably paid a hefty sum to reach.

Is a night dive being offered after dinner, and you don’t want to feel to bloated and sluggish to take the dive that you’d love to make? Simple solution is to simply eat a little of your meal, and ask the crew to put the rest of it aside so that you can finish it when the dive is done. This also works sometimes if you simply wish to forego dessert and save it for a post dive treat, but while my partially gnawed on chicken bones and broccoli has always been readily accessible in the galley post-dive, I’ve often found that my personal brownie, cookie, pie slice, or apple cobbler has mysteriously vanished while I’ve been submerged.

The Aggressor Fleet came up with the slogan Eat, Sleep, and Dive. While I support that sentiment, I prefer to rearrange their verbiage to better suit my priorities: Dive, Eat, and Sleep.

BTW, I voted to dive after dinner. Night dives by definition occur after dark.

You forget that I did see you wake up and make your way to breakfast one or two mornings on a Truth Aquatics liveaboard-- although we should probably call it a CampAboard. Looking through my Dive Log, I think it might have been sometime in the month of November 2016? The 19th or 20th at Santa Cruz Island? :wink:

Speaking of which, I will be back on the Conception for 4 days and nights over Memorial Weekend diving the Southern Channel Islands. Can't wait!

You said it yourself...a CampABoard. Actually, I enjoy camping more so maybe that isn't even doing it justice! :p Yes, November 2016. It was right after I got back from Komodo and the Great Barrier Reef/Osprey/Coral Sea on my first 2 liveaboards. Here I am.....going on #10 and #11 in Oct. Slippery slope :facepalm:

You said it yourself...a CampABoard. Actually, I enjoy camping more so maybe that isn't even doing it justice! :p Yes, November 2016. It was right after I got back from Komodo and the Great Barrier Reef/Osprey/Coral Sea on my first 2 liveaboards. Here I am.....going on #10 and #11 in Oct. Slippery slope :facepalm:
Slippery Slope indeed- but what a great one! You are such a great live aboard resource!

I wouldn't want to dive immediately after a meal or feel rushed at dinner (and not get to have a glass of wine or beer)...

I get what you are saying, but I often dive after breakfast and not very long after lunch, so I do dive after meals. The only time it has been a problem is when I have been dealing with seasickness - then I don't eat much anyway.

I was on the Cayman Aggressor V last November. We did 4 night dives, Tibbetts, Meadows, Kittiwake, and Oro Verde. The best dive was the one on the Oro Verde. We started in the pitch black at 6 AM and finished during the sunrise. It was a beautiful dive on both ends

+ One for early morning dawn dives. I absolutely love watching the reef come to life and wake up.

When we were on the Aggressor IV we did a very early morning dive (dawn not night) at Stingray City and it was fabulous. We were the only boat on the site and it was just us and the rays. I wasn't eager to do the dive because we had already dived SRC a couple of times previously, but it was a magical experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom