Liveaboard in July/August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilympt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking into doing a liveaboard dive trip with the family in the summer. I am just starting to research the Maldives and I am looking for any information/recommandation of 7-10 days liveaboard. My main goal is to see the big stuff, whale shark, mantas, etc as I understand this is the place to do it. I don't know if different season means seeing different things as July/August is the only time the kids are out of school long enough to do this trip from Canada.

We are all AOW certified divers if that makes a differences. I have over 500 dives, my son over 100, my daughter and wife has around 50.

We don't need to be pampered, just good food, great crew, reasonable accommodation and great dives.

I understand diving Maldives depends on season and different season will dive in different area.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ilympt,

Maldives is a year round destination but yes some periods of the year are better than others. If you could choose any time of the year then we would recommend November to May. However you can still have a great time outside of those months.

Most liveaboards focus on the central atolls region although some venture further north or south.

Here is a list of recommended Maldives liveaboards divided by budget and itinerary location. Hope that's helpful.

For the most part, July/August will need to be shark season for the central atolls. The Mantas have largely moved on to other areas (though they do see some then). Whale sharks are always around but diving with them will be tough for the Maldives. I don't know of any areas where you can consistently dive with them as the main viewing areas with consistent sightings are protected and snorkeling only.

Given your timings, I would probably shoot for a southern atolls cruise as I think that is the better region for manta's that time of year.

rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom