Liveaboard for Hammerheads - Galapagos or Cocos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Driznik

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm researching to book my first liveaboard in November.

I've had an obsession with Hammerheads since I was small, so I'd really like to book the trip that gives me the best chance of seeing them.

My question - that time of year, which trip will give me the best chance at frequent Hammerhead encounters - with enough proximity and clear enough water for good pictures?

Can anybody recommend one company over the other? Neither destination looks cheap, but I can justify it for the quality of the experience.

Your help is much appreciated.

D

Three days has passed, so I'll spout off...

You'll get your encounter either way.

Start doing some math. Cocos will be cheaper. It will also we a fun filled trip on a pitching boat.

The Galapagos- you're going to want this destination before you die. It is more expensive. The crossing to Wolf/Darwin Islands is a regular path for the liveaboards used by North Americans. This is the Dramamine portion of the trip. The plus to this? There are land excursions (Turtles, etc) that are worth the trip... believe it or not- it is more than diving.

If you are young enough to think about doing both, if you have funds to spend... many possibilities.

After about the fourth "frequent Hammerhead encounter", your self described obsession with them should be waning. I got over my thing with Raquel Welch when I had seen enough of her, too. :wink:

Thanks for the help. I've definitely got both high on the list of destinations I have to hit before I die (which is now stretching out to around five pages), and I'm young enough to expect to hit both at some point - it's just a question of which one first.

I've spent some quality time with Excel, and while I'm inclined to spend as little as I have to on anything, I can get the $ together for either trip.

Your thoughts corroborate my own research. It seems like I can't go wrong either way, but the Galapagos would be a better overall experience. Now I just have to find a company with availability in November.

Thanks,

D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom