Liveaboard Destination Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, the wife is pregnant and due in February/March so my diving prospects for the next few years are not looking great. I had planned on doing some big trips over the past year or so but covid really put a damper on that...

With that being said, I'm trying to find a really good liveaboard destination between now and end of January. I had my heart set on Raj Ampat or the Philippines in December but it's not looking good at all for their reopening. I'll be traveling and diving solo if that makes a difference. The next month is probably a no-go due to work but after that I should be able to take off a week or two without any issues.

Cost isn't a major issue but I definitely don't need a top of the line luxury boat. On the other hand I don't want camping at sea...

Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe Galapagos or Red Sea?

Not knowing what destinations you have gone to. But, if you get stuck more local, Turks and Caicos Explorer is my favorite liveaboard destination in the Caribbean. I am contemplating, what would be my 3rd trip on her, sometime later this year. Due to the uncertainty of traveling to some of the further destinations.

Well, the wife is pregnant and due in February/March so my diving prospects for the next few years are not looking great. I had planned on doing some big trips over the past year or so but covid really put a damper on that...

With that being said, I'm trying to find a really good liveaboard destination between now and end of January. I had my heart set on Raj Ampat or the Philippines in December but it's not looking good at all for their reopening. I'll be traveling and diving solo if that makes a difference. The next month is probably a no-go due to work but after that I should be able to take off a week or two without any issues.

Cost isn't a major issue but I definitely don't need a top of the line luxury boat. On the other hand I don't want camping at sea...

Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe Galapagos or Red Sea?
I’m still holding my breath for Raja Ampat in February 2022.

My recommendation to you is going to Cocos in September. I have a spot for $1000 off now.

Cocos with Argo, September 10-20, 2021, $1000 off

With Argo, you have an option to go on a submarine to 1000 feet depth. A once in a lifetime opportunity. I did it back in 2018. After seeing Jonathan’s Blue World’s episode on it.

That’s me, on the left in the 3-man submarine DeepSee, below.

BA89B6F6-FC15-477B-BC03-804FA289B80F.jpeg

What's the total price on that trip? Might be interested...

I've mostly just been to the Caribbean... Bonaire, Coz, Roatan, and just got back from Hawaii a month ago. Basically looking for the best diving in the world that's open right now.

What sort of diving do you want to do? 'Best' is relative. For example, someone bent on finding lush coral reefs might balk at the Galapagos, and someone after lots of big animals might balk at Roatan (but they could trade destinations with each other and be thrilled). Read Dan's trip reports, such as on Cocos...is encountering a large tiger shark something you're okay with?

If you want really good coral reef diving, and since the Caymans aren't open these days, a Belize Aggressor III or IV live-aboard to the outer atolls of Belize could serve. Although it's not live-aboard, I'm reading good things about the new land-based operation coming to South Caicos mentioned in a recent thread...that might be of interest.

The Galapagos and Turks & Caicos were mentioned earlier...I may be able to help with some research notes on those.

Turks & Caicos Research Notes - Turks & Caicos Research Notes
Turks & Caicos Aggressor II Report Apr. 2018 - Trip Report - Turks & Caicos Aggressor II 4/21-4/28 Trip Report
My Research Notes from Planning Galapagos Trip
Humboldt Explorer Jan 13-20, 2020 - Humboldt Explorer Jan 13-20, 2020

What's the total price on that trip? Might be interested...

I've mostly just been to the Caribbean... Bonaire, Coz, Roatan, and just got back from Hawaii a month ago. Basically looking for the best diving in the world that's open right now.
Cocos is one of the best diving in the world that’s open right now. I was there last December.

The cost is $6610 before discounts, as shown here: Liveaboard Trips Cocos Island Costa Rica

Well I'm leaning towards the Cocos trip... I've only dove Bonaire, Hawaii, Coz, and Roatan. Not really the best time with the work schedule but when is it ever?

Would also consider a Red Sea trip to Ras that would be considerably cheaper. Maybe Socorro or Galapagos too... so hard to choose.

I’d be all over a Red Sea LOB from Egypt if I weren’t throwing tons of money at motorcycling right now.

fyi, Quino El Guardian has a 13d/12n "Sea of Cortez, Explore Baja" trip 19Sep-01Oct. Two spaces left for $3099. Never been there - the website has more info, Quino el Guardian Liveaboard Dive Boat - Quino el Guardian Liveaboard, also some generally favorable reviews here on Scubaboard. Trip starts up north at Puerto Penasco (fly into PHX), and ends at Cabo. Traverse the entire length of the Sea of Cortez.

They also have shorter 7-10d itineraries in Sea of Cortez, and also out to Socorro starting November. Sister vessel is Rocio del Mar, which is a bit more upscale. Appears to be a family run business with just the 2 boats.

This Cortez trip looks like something different. Cooler temps & some current, but not like the open Pacific at Cocos/Socorro/Galapagos (3mm instead of 5/7mm). Sea lions certain, whale sharks very likely, dolphins, mantas, various sharks & schooling fish. Some corals, some macro. Trip will cover a lot of ground over almost 2 weeks at sea, with a few shore trips along the way. Would prefer Indo / RA again, but that's not happening for a while.

re: "Well I'm leaning towards the Cocos trip... "
- was that your decision? If so, have a great trip. Definitely on my wish list.

If your plans are still open, gently suggest a deep-dive into what you want / don't want for the trip. Water temps, depths, vis, currents, seas, number of dives, night dives, coral & seascapes, big pelagics, mammals, macro, other stuff.

As noted above, Red Sea LOB diving is great, incredible vis, amazing seascapes, good value, typically fewer dives/day. Maybe Palau has re-opened (not sure), my planned trip got cancelled. Also not sure on status for Thailand and the LOB's to Similans, cool place. If you want to get in lots of dives, the Aggressor boats do 4/d (been with them to Belize, Kona and T&C, all were good). For me, the Kona trip was worth it for just two of the night dives (Mantas and pelagic critters at 40' down in 4kft wd). Would love to go to Galapagos, maybe next year (latest word is travel requires vax plus recent PCR). But I'd rank Raja Ampat above them all ...

Have fun, hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom