Liveaboard and tools?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Im off to Thailand for amonth and will do a liveaboardor two at the Silians, can anyone tell me what range, if any, the boats tend to carry? Im just wondering what/if anything I need to bring. Cheers

They usually have a full range of vice/channel grips, wonky worn out shifting spanners that I wouldn't use on my go kart, rusty imperial hex keys and hammers, so no problem :wink:

They usually have a full range of vice/channel grips, wonky worn out shifting spanners that I wouldn't use on my go kart, rusty imperial hex keys and hammers, so no problem :wink:

yep I can imagine lol...but they are likely to have the basic stuff eh like 9/16, 11/16 1/2, 3/4 spanners, some screw drivers etc eh?

Same question as Steven......I've never experienced a guest needing any kind of tools we didn't have on the boat. Don't recognize the bit about worn out and rusty tools either - guess it depends entirely what boat you're on :wink:

Same question as Steven......I've never experienced a guest needing any kind of tools we didn't have on the boat. Don't recognize the bit about worn out and rusty tools either - guess it depends entirely what boat you're on :wink:

I used to have a scuba tool but the quality was crap and it broke. I cut down spanners and hex keys so they will sit in my dive kit should I need to replace a hose, spool, spg etc, but these are heavy to carry. I also carry service kits should things go wrong, (as they sometimes do, Murphys law and all that) i.e. HP seat. I am just trying to find out if I should carry my own or could reasonably except boats to carry such tools. This trip is costing us a small fortune so want to be sure I am covered as much as possible. I dont like to rely, without some confirmation, on others for my gear where possible. Cheers.

All the tools necessary for those kind of repairs will be on the boats. Also spare equipment will be on the boats.

So I would not worry at all.

When I was working in Egypt all guides/instructors had their own basic tool sets and basic spare equipment like mouthpiece etc. with them, because the boats did not provide that. here it is provided by the boats.

Despite my earlier denial, I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I imagine most liveaboards would have a reasonable selection of well-maintained tools. Wasn't intended to be a slight on anyone

I would still take anything unusual or specific tools required by my rig, but the usual spanners and allen keys I would expect to be on board

Back
Top Bottom