Live to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And one day I hope this can be my life too! But seriously, I suggest RENTING for 6 months to a year before you venture down the let's buy a place option. I'm currently 'living the dream' on an island. It ain't all it's cracked up to be. I'm here because someone moved down, took the job and left after 4 months. Not the first person to do so. I've met many counting the days till they can get off the rock. This is a working crowd and 'working' and 'island' can be polar opposites. Maybe for the fully retired it's different, but island time is real and not conducive to getting things done. Repairs, cable, supplies, electricity, medical, food, cell service, shopping (St. T does have a Home Depot, 2 K-Marts and a Cineplex I've found) are all things to think about. And while those VI's may be green and mountainous - they are mountainous! My little Toyota barely makes it up some hills (Bolongo Bay area) and don't miss a curve, the first drop is deadly. My co-worker and I sat together on the flight back to Contin US and shared that he was looking forward to driving a car in excess of 40MPH on flat highways. Just things to keep in mind.

For me Bonaire is stunning, it's a desert island, not a tropical island. It's the old story of appreciating your surroundings.

Good luck and keep us informed!
Bill: Personally I think there's a lot of truth in this posting. This is relevant no matter what island you visit or plan to live on. Island fever is a very real phenomena. Fortunately for me I realized this fact decades ago. I LOVE the Caribbean and the ocean, but there is no way I could ever consider living there 12 months a year. So if anyone is considering a move of this magnitude, my advice is to be very sure what you want. Obviously we're all different but I am very happy spending 3 months on Bonaire and escaping the cold New England winters. But I must say, after 3 months, both my wife and I are very happy to return to our home overlooking Winnipesaukee in NH. We love the change of seasons, spring, summer and autumn can be magical.

Have you thought about Hawaii? Cost of living is high, but on Maui, if you're willing to live upcountry (which it sounds like you prefer) it's nowhere near as bad. There is a ton of shore diving. The government is stable and the language and money are what you're used to, and sanitation and clean water aren't an issue. There are also not very many bugs, at least on the dry side of the island. And it's pretty easy for people to come visit.

I agree with TSandM, Maui is amazing, we have lived here over 10 years and wouldn't live anywhere else. Upcountry has nice rural areas that provide cooler climates without getting too high elevation for diving considerations. I would have to laugh a bit about the stable government. I primarily in new home developments so I have a slightly different opinion. We are in the USA so that's a huge plus and there is so much to do here. The medical care has come a long way in just the past 10 years with advancements everyday. Good Luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom