Little River Springs now charging for entry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charging for access to nature is a step in the right direction.

Isn’t that what taxes are for?

I’m not that concerned about a $5 entry fee but make no mistake about it, it is a slippery slope and it will get out of hand.

Diving at Pt Lobos in NorCal is $33 / day and $10 for parking. Add another $25 to launch a boat.
California is the land of the fee so I’m probably a bit jaded on this issue.

Isn’t that what taxes are for?

I’m not that concerned about a $5 entry fee but make no mistake about it, it is a slippery slope and it will get out of hand.

Diving at Pt Lobos in NorCal is $33 / day and $10 for parking. Add another $25 to launch a boat.
California is the land of the fee so I’m probably a bit jaded on this issue.
I know the place. They should increase the fees IMHO.

I know the place. They should increase the fees IMHO.

I can’t tell if you’re being flippant.

Are you a Californian?

I can’t tell if you’re being flippant.

Are you a Californian?
Always.

Learned to dive in Monterey Bay. Believe me when I say this - few diving spots are as awesome as Point Lobos and Monastery. For those of you who do not know what we are talking about, here is what you get:

- Shore access to blue water; depth 0-300'+ w a scooter or 3 min boat ride; all you depth needs!
- Incredible kelp forests
- Abundant sea life - fish, sea lions (hunting the fish), birds
- If you're lucky, you can see juvinile great whites or Giant Pacific octopus
- Protected marine life means there is no "dull" dive
- Fairly cold temperatures and regular ocean tantrums keep amateurs away
- Gated park entries means relatively trash-free environment; no meth aficionados
- 10 min ride to a hyperbaric champer shall you need one

Located 1.5 hours away from Silicon Valley and near Monterey, i.e., you have all "civil" amenities you want for any budget. The park offers incredible hiking trails to non-divers. Look up "Point Lobos" on any search engine or here.

Spots like that are hard to find. On the East Coast, unnless you're in FL, access to blue water requires a good boat ride which runs you about $100.

So yeah, I'll pay $40 any freaking weekend to dive in one of the most spectacular spots in a fairly crowded state. Btw, you can always dive Monastery free of charge ;-)

Always.

Learned to dive in Monterey Bay. Believe me when I say this - few diving spots are as awesome as Point Lobos and Monastery. For those of you who do not know what we are talking about, here is what you get:

- Shore access to blue water; depth 0-300'+ w a scooter or 3 min boat ride; all you depth needs!
- Incredible kelp forests
- Abundant sea life - fish, sea lions (hunting the fish), birds
- If you're lucky, you can see juvinile great whites or Giant Pacific octopus
- Protected marine life means there is no "dull" dive
- Fairly cold temperatures and regular ocean tantrums keep amateurs away
- Gated park entries means relatively trash-free environment; no meth aficionados
- 10 min ride to a hyperbaric champer shall you need one

Located 1.5 hours away from Silicon Valley and near Monterey, i.e., you have all "civil" amenities you want for any budget. The park offers incredible hiking trails to non-divers. Look up "Point Lobos" on any search engine or here.

Spots like that are hard to find. On the East Coast, unnless you're in FL, access to blue water requires a good boat ride which runs you about $100.

So yeah, I'll pay $40 any freaking weekend to dive in one of the most spectacular spots in a fairly crowded state. Btw, you can always dive Monastery free of charge ;-)

My experience at Little River is very limited and I've never had to deal the bad crowd when I was there. Little River is definitely worth $5, especially if it's going to help clean it up.

I do consider myself pretty lucky that Lobos is my stomping grounds and that I don't have to put up with crime and litter all over the place. For what it's worth I do pay the $125 annual fee to avoid the $10 parking and I currently have 4 reservations in my queue. See that my banner is Whaler's cove and my profile was taken at worm patch. I did get to see a ~14' GWS (and a Blue) last year, there's been a GPO hanging around HITW this year but I can't find it, and the scooter runs out to the deeper pinnacles are epic. Now, if I can get them to lower the dive reservations to $5... :wink:

Went to LR yesterday (Tuesday), I got there at around 8am. I was surprised to see the lady actually there in a weekday. Thankfully I had a $5 bill in my wallet. But apparently the normal opening time is now 9am, so no more early morning dives at LR.

I've been informed this is old news, but I only visit LR when it floods so this is my first visit in seven months. The stairs are out, and going to be out for a while. She said they are planning to put metal stairs to replace them, but first the water level has to go down. And they need to get the other parks fixed up from the hurricane. So it might be a while.

Until then they are providing a cart, and a rather nice one at that.

20230912_085639.jpg

Speaking of which the water level is up to just below the second platform. Flow is negligible, any higher and it likely will go under.

20230912_090554.jpg
20230912_090557.jpg

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom