Little Hotels Near Centro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone have a little hotel not too far from Centro that they like? First I looked at The Barracuda but I need something mas tranquilo (quieter). We have been staying mainly at AirBnBs for several years and suddenly the prices are skyrocketing. The same place we stayed at for five weeks a year ago for $650 is now $2000US! I found a place for $980US for five weeks but when I clicked on "book it" the price went up a few hundred dollars plus they wanted another $150 after we'd been there a while and didn't even say what the charge was for. I checked the booking sites for the Carlota Guest House and it sounds good but then someone mentioned having to share their kitchenette with another room. I prefer more privacy than that.

Thanks.

There are many hotels downtown but some look seedy from the street and I have not inspected many. I have stayed at a few, but none as cheap as where you've shopped.
I found a place for $980US for five weeks but when I clicked on "book it" the price went up a few hundred dollars plus they wanted another $150 after we'd been there a while and didn't even say what the charge was for.
$980 for 5 weeks is $28/day so I'd be cautious. What site were you trying to use in booking that gave surprise charges?
I checked the booking sites for the Carlota Guest House and it sounds good but then someone mentioned having to share their kitchenette with another room.
For a random week I checked, they had one tiny room with a terrace and private kitchenette for $27.14/night plus "16 % VAT, US$ 2.50 Environmental fee per night, 6 % City tax, 10 % Cleaning fee, US$ 5.00 Towel fee per stay." I did not calculate the total per night, but I wouldn't expect much.

Anyone have a little hotel not too far from Centro that they like?
I'm a huge fan of Tamarindo-- clean, very friendly on-site owners, great common spaces (pool deep enough for SCUBA training, hot tub, full kitchen for guest use, good rinse tanks), reasonable price Calle 4 Norte & Av. 20

The only downside is if you use a dive op that docks (to drop off customers) at the Aqua Safari/Aldora pier and doesn't keep all your gear overnight -- there are closer places than Tamarindo if you've got to carry a wet wetsuit...

To put my review in context, I've stayed at Casa Mexicana about 5 times and at 7 other -- smaller -- hotels several times.

Just curious, but what time of year are you visiting ? The rates you are seeking are pretty cheap in general and very cheap for high season . Sounds like you have gotten some good bargains in the past so maybe you can get lucky again

I've never seen under $40/nt unless way off the beaten path. Sounds like you had a gravy train and the owners wised up.

I know some people who rent part of a house with no A/C for a few months for $300/month, but I suspect it is a little bit Mexican. And they have done it for years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom