Little dive shop at Kaanapali Beach Club (aka Embassy Suites)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well John 5:30 to someone from AZ should feel a lot like 8:30.

But do what you want. I've done them all and I'd rather be finished with two great dives by 10am and off for more adventures myself.

I kind of see your point about the time difference (lol).
I appreciate your idea and agree if we were back at 10:30 I see no reason not to head to a golf course in Wailea to get 18 holes before driving back (my wife might not understand that logic though....lol)
Thanks,
John

There is a micro shore condition at Kaanapali beach that causes a rip current. The reef runs parallel to the shore along the beach and creates a dam that trapps the shore break. In front of the Kaanapali Beach Resort at one time the reef has been carved out from the beach to the channel (I will assume to allow catamarans and boats to approach the beach). This causes a funneling effect of the back wash from the shore brake if the waves coming into that beach are large enough. It would take a swell up the Kealaikahiki channel from the south west to do this (late summer?). There are posted signs that there is a rip current, but most of the time the waves are soo small it is very hard to decern.

I have both snorkled and SCUBA dived that cut and not had a problem returning to the beach. Any current out to sea is easy enought to avoid by swimming in over the reef to either side of the channel.

There is a micro shore condition at Kaanapali beach that causes a rip current. The reef runs parallel to the shore along the beach and creates a dam that trapps the shore break. In front of the Kaanapali Beach Resort at one time the reef has been carved out from the beach to the channel (I will assume to allow catamarans and boats to approach the beach). This causes a funneling effect of the back wash from the shore brake if the waves coming into that beach are large enough. It would take a swell up the Kealaikahiki channel from the south west to do this (late summer?). There are posted signs that there is a rip current, but most of the time the waves are soo small it is very hard to decern.

I have both snorkled and SCUBA dived that cut and not had a problem returning to the beach. Any current out to sea is easy enought to avoid by swimming in over the reef to either side of the channel.

Hi muddiver,
You description and explanation were perfect. I totally got what you said. I too did many snorkel trips using this area and had very little trouble coming back in. It's a great little channel because of no reefs to trip over.
I guess it was just one of those poor condition moments when the instructor took us back in (going out didn't seem that bad at all, but was really occupied using a reg and bc for the first time in my life). I hope to meet this guy this coming February so I can ask him why we took the cannel all the way in from 100 yards. Seems your idea of coming over the reefs and then down into the channel very close to shore is the best way.
Thanks,
John

AZJohn I own 2 time shares at this resort. While I have used the dive shop here on one trip I wouldn't recomend it to anyone. Dive guide the 1st day as rude, but the 2nd day it was a different guide and much better attitude. I did the scooter dives. I would save your money, and go with a local guide to some shore sites. I havn't done any boat diving here, but there are lots of good threads here with good info on that.

I never understood why the shop doesn't rent tanks & weights. It would probably make them some money as I see lots of divers staying here, and going elsewhere to dive.

It,s the Ocean Engineer in me. I see natural formations in the ocean all the time and I end up thinking about how they affect currents, tide, sediment flow and divers. :D

StacyT, was the first guide a guy with short gray hair? I've had a bad experience with that Divemaster too. Oh well, their loss.

BTW have you received any emails from Bill Burns of the time share association? PM me.

and agreeif we were back at 10:30 I see no reason not to head to a golf course in Wailea to get 18 holes before driving back (my wife might not understand that logic though....lol)
Thanks,
John
Played the Gold Course yet? Still ranks as one of my five best rounds ever - the views and course - not my score...LOL

Of course the same logic applies to Kapalua Bay (both dive site and golf course) :D

It,s the Ocean Engineer in me. I see natural formations in the ocean all the time and I end up thinking about how they affect currents, tide, sediment flow and divers. :D

StacyT, was the first guide a guy with short gray hair? I've had a bad experience with that Divemaster too. Oh well, their loss.

BTW have you received any emails from Bill Burns of the time share association? PM me.

The 1st dive master I went out with there was a female. When I explained that I often get cold, even in Maui, and that I would let her know so we could make our way back, she explained that it would be her call to head back. She also would not allow me to wear my gloves, granted I know they think that some people want the gloves for protection from the rocks, but I wear the gloves for warmth. She was not even freindly by any means, and you could tell she was just doing it to earn some money.

I get emails from Bill, and have sent him my fair share as well.:)

I never understood why the shop doesn't rent tanks & weights. It would probably make them some money as I see lots of divers staying here, and going elsewhere to dive.
HI Stacy,
I know, why does a shop who promotes intros to the wonderful world of scuba not support divers afterwards??? Oh well, their loss and someone else's gain on Maui. Scooter diving sounds fun but probably not this next visit.

Played the Gold Course yet? Still ranks as one of my five best rounds ever - the views and course - not my score...LOL

Hey Steve,
The Gold course and Mekena south are my two favorite courses on the island, but haven't played Kapalua plantation yet (always too much money for me to part with).

I just returned from Maui about a week ago.

It appears that the vender operating out of the Ka'anapalli Beach Club pool cabanna has changed. I did a beach dive with David (who I have never seen there before) and he did a quick and dirty underwater digital photography course with me for the standard certified diver guided dive cost. Great service, I highly reccomend this (apparently) new company call Tiny Bubbles.

I just returned from Maui about a week ago.

It appears that the vender operating out of the Ka'anapalli Beach Club pool cabanna has changed. I did a beach dive with David (who I have never seen there before) and he did a quick and dirty underwater digital photography course with me for the standard certified diver guided dive cost. Great service, I highly reccomend this (apparently) new company call Tiny Bubbles.

Thank you for the update muddiver! I will check them out in about 6 weeks:D
Can't find a web site for them but will ask about the charges when we get there
Have a great Holdiay!
John

Back
Top Bottom