Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are more than 2 trips per day GC to LC. There were about 6 choices daily on Cayman Airways when I booked.
Apparently, two of their planes are scheduled for FAA reqd annual maintenance in Aug/Sep. schedule is lessened.

And they are probably overworking their older jets right now because they had purchased 2 new Boeing Max 8 jets that are out of service at all airlines.

Too bad, they do have a couple of turboprops that fly between the Cayman islands, and they have been known to lease planes when necessary; but like I said, a lot of airlines are stretched right now.

Thanks Kathy! Very useful info.
Thanks for tip about RF. We have the rooms. Getting there is another story...

There's another airline called Island Air that offers flights between the Cayman Islands as well as charters, but we have never used them and I don't know much about them or their pricing:

Home - Island Air

And there are helicopter flight services too but I know even less about those!

I don't recommend taking a boat over to the sister islands. We did a cruise on the Cayman Aggressor IV and it was great trip, but it took all night to make the crossing and I was terribly seasick. After we got to LC I got my sea legs and I was fine - but it was a very unpleasant deep-water crossing - even though the weather was mild (and I wasn't the only one up on the deck all night and hanging over the railing!)

Tridacna,

The issue that time of year is almost always that the couple of afternoon flights on Saturdays book up very quickly. Try looking at Sun-Sun or other non Sat-Sat flights and you should be able to make the connections. That time of year (September at least), typically Southern Cross Club and Pirates Point are shut down for about a month, so you would most likely be booking with Reef Divers and Little Cayman Beach Resort, and there is a long thread in the "Cayman Islands" sub-forum about changes coming in 2020 to move most, if not all of their bookings to a Sat-Sat itinerary. There are as yet unspecified changes coming to the airlift options that are supposed to make that possible, but at least for 2019, your best bet in that timeframe, if they have enough room left for your group would be to do a non Sat-Sat booking. If you let them know that the flight connections are not available for the Sat arrival date you want, they will honor the low season package pricing even though it says it is for Sat-Sat only.

Another option is to fly into GC on Friday and spend the night in GC and then the earlier flights on CA from GC to LC are wide open on Saturday. I grabbed all the seats I needed on CA the very day those flights opened up when I was booking for my group. They are hard to come by.

view
ignore.... something went wrong....

open

view

Back
Top Bottom