Little Cayman recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ippy01

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've searched lots of threads and not seen a recent post on this topic -- so, at the risk of asking an old, oft-answered question -- here goes: Where is the best place to stay/dive on Little Cayman? I am planning to go to Grand Cayman in early August (assuming there are no hurricanes in the forecast!) and want to bop over to LC for 2 or 3 days of diving. I will be travelling with my non-diving wife (I know, its boring there for non-divers) and 7 & 12 year old boys. I have read that the beaches at most (all?) LC resorts are not suitable for swimming due to eel grass and such. So, which place is the best/nicest with the best dive operation and something/anything for kids?

Thank you for any help!

There's lots of posts on LC resorts, if none recent it's probably because nothing has changed. I don't think there's a 'best', depends what you want.

There's not a lot on LC for non-diving kids in general unless they can entertain themselves or are happy loafing with a good book (same for the adults.) I've only stayed at LCBR but I suspect it might have the most for kids as it's the largest (large is relative.) They have bikes to borrow, a tennis/basketball court, pool table, gameroom. There was a volleyball net on the beach. They rent kayaks. I've rarely seen anyone using any of these things. It's true, the beach there is shallow and grassy and you don't see people swimming off it. Kids could probably still play in the water, but most people staying there are probably too waterlogged already to bother. They could go elsewhere on the island to go snorkeling. They can take little hikes on the beach or along the road, not too much trouble to get into. There is a tiny tiny "spa" for your wife.

Seems a shame to make the extra hop for only 2-3 days diving there!

Check out Conch Club Condominiums if you want a good place for the family. They have use of facilities at LCBR.

Damsel is wrong - the diving in LCM is so good that the extra hop is worth it.

Tim is right - we always stay at the Conch Club.

nipi:
Damsel is wrong - the diving in LCM is so good that the extra hop is worth it.

Tim is right - we always stay at the Conch Club.
Sure it's good. What I really mean is, if you're gonna go to LC at all, just go there and stay there for the duration, or at least spend more time on LC and less on GC. My take is you need to do a longer trip than a week to make it worth splitting between the islands, else percentagewise you lose an awful lot of play and dive time to offgassing and transit, packing and unpacking, all that. Plus you won't want to leave LC after 2-3 days.

Really, though there's not much organized for kids to do on LC, I'm not sure there's really that much more for kids on GC? There's the feeling of lots more activity, but aside from doing the turtle farm or stingray city, or maybe a sub ride, they'll probably spend lots of time by the pool or beach. They might like the freedom you could give them to do their own thing on LC which you probably wouldn't do so much on GC, they might actually have more fun. There's certainly more shopping and restaurants, but the kids probably don't care about that.

Damselfish:
Sure it's good. What I really mean is, if you're gonna go to LC at all, just go there and stay there for the duration, or at least spend more time on LC and less on GC. My take is you need to do a longer trip than a week to make it worth splitting between the islands, else percentagewise you lose an awful lot of play and dive time to offgassing and transit, packing and unpacking, all that. Plus you won't want to leave LC after 2-3 days.

Really, though there's not much organized for kids to do on LC, I'm not sure there's really that much more for kids on GC? There's the feeling of lots more activity, but aside from doing the turtle farm or stingray city, or maybe a sub ride, they'll probably spend lots of time by the pool or beach. They might like the freedom you could give them to do their own thing on LC which you probably wouldn't do so much on GC, they might actually have more fun. There's certainly more shopping and restaurants, but the kids probably don't care about that.

Thanks to everyone who provided me with info -- maybe I will see if the wife will indulge me with some extra time on LC. Again, thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom