Little Cayman Jan-feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nikyyo

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to little cayman with some friends for this feb or Jan. I was wondering if that was a good time to go there. I read some reports that it is possible to get "blown out" during that time. Is it, in most people's opinions, an ok time to go? Should I either go a little sooner or later in the year? There will be four of us and I am looking into paradise villas and divers as they seem to be the most cost efficient operation on the island. People seem to like them as well. Thanks for all responses.

nikyyo:
I am planning a trip to little cayman with some friends for this feb or Jan. I was wondering if that was a good time to go there. I read some reports that it is possible to get "blown out" during that time. Is it, in most people's opinions, an ok time to go? Should I either go a little sooner or later in the year? There will be four of us and I am looking into paradise villas and divers as they seem to be the most cost efficient operation on the island. People seem to like them as well. Thanks for all responses.
January and February are the perfect time to go to Little Cayman. Personally, I would vote for February over January simply because the sun is a little higher in the sky, but that's a small point. The water may be a trifle warmer in January, but just a very little. I normally start wearing a 3 mil suit sometime in January when the water temperature goes below about 79, but there are plenty of people around who start wearing a wet suit earlier.

It is true that we sometimes have cold fronts move through in the winter, and when that happens the wind can be fairly stiff out of the north. Rarely does this last long enough for people on a week's vacation to miss seeing the north wall (Bloody Bay Wall), but it does happen. And if it does, the diving on the south shore is really just as interesting. You don't get the spectacular wall dives, but the south side sites are interesting in their own way.

You will have a very good time at Paradise Villas. The virtue there is that the rooms are really small efficiency apartments, and you can cook in your room when you feel like doing so. If you want to do this, I strongly suggest you go down to Foster's Food Fair on Grand Cayman when you go through the Grand Cayman airport and browse their meat section for whatever appeals to you. It's only a 15 minute walk from the terminal, and the selection is quite good. Once you get to Little Cayman, the choices are frozen chicken...or frozen chicken...or frozen chicken.

I should mention that PV is the home of the early birds. Banana Wind, their dive boat, is always the first one out the inlet. I think they want their divers to assemble by 7:30 each morning. The routine has been to meet at the office and then ride in a pick-up truck to the dock owned by Pirate's Point, then board the boat from there. However, I lhave learned that that dock was wiped out last Thursday by Hurricane charlie, so I'm not sure how they're handling things right now. All should be smooth for you by January, however.

Bruce

I appreciate the response. I will try for February. I like your advice about food shopping in grand cayman, however, I don't beliveve there are stoves at paradise villas so I don't know how we would cook the food. I will send PV am e mail to verify this. Thanks again.

There was a small grocery store in Little Cayman when I stayed in Paradise Villas back in 1995...it was in the small strip mall with the Bank; I assume its still there.

FWIW, I agree that some of LC's southside dives are quite interesting - - if there's a "problem" with Bloody Bay & Jackson's Bight, it is that it is so famous that everyone insists on always going there on a trip, even when the Northside diving is lousy. If the weather's not favorable for diving on the North side sites, enjoy the SW corner area and assume that you'll come back next year.

-hh

The units at PV have a fridge, microwave & cooking stuff & you can get a hot plate from Sabine. But for a similar price you could probably get a full service 2 bed apartment at the Conch Club (US$300 a night I think currently). Book them through the Beach Resort (345 948 1033).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom