Little Cayman in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petermichelle

Sporadic Member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are experienced divers (150 dives +) and looking forward to our first trip to Little Cayman. Can anyone recommend accommodation. Pirate's Point looks interesting. Anyone been there? Or elsewhere?

My son and I spent a week at LCBR in July 2010, best Caribbean vacation and diving we've had. We had a beautiful ocean front room, food was great, pool, hot tub and bar were very good. Best of all were the 3-4 dives per day with Reef Divers. We dived on our own but they have a DM in the water on all dives. We had an hour + on all dives and loved every minute. The 2 night dives were the best I've ever had. As long as you need no urban excitement, this is the place for you. I'd go back in a second and am scheming to do so.

I prefer LCBR..
They seem to run a better dive op. i.e. 3 dive per day.

Southern Cross has a very good dive op and great accommodation and food but is more expensive than pirates and LCBR. For me, not worth the differential.
I've been to LCBR many times and never been disappointed.

Well, let me put in a plug for Pirate's Point. They don't advertise in dive magazines because over 90% of their business is repeat business. As Doctorfish implied, they do 2 dives a day instead of 3, as is the case at LCBR. However, there is no time limit on those dives. IMHO, that's a very big difference. It is a different atmosphere than at LCBR--much more laid back, more casual, less driven by the clock. Last I looked, it was less expensive than LCBR, though this varies from year to year. And finally, I would mention that they have far less turnover in their dive staff. The same people have been there for many years.

Pirates Point and LCBR are both great and I have been to both but I have returned to the LCBR several times since. Just got back a couple of weeks ago. The rooms are much nicer at LCBR. The food is excellent at both but more variety at LCBR. I also like being able to just walk down the dock at LCBR to get on the dive boat. At Pirates Point you have to board a van each morning and drive to a dock. As far as the price goes, LCBR has always been a few hundred cheaper than Pirates Point.

As Doctorfish implied, they do 2 dives a day instead of 3, as is the case at LCBR. However, there is no time limit on those dives. IMHO, that's a very big difference.

My son and I did 18 dives at LCBR with an average dive time of 64 minutes, despite the suggested dive duration of 60 minutes. We simply made sure we were amongst the first in and among the last out. Our longest dive was 68 minutes and we were never chastised by the crew. Many of these dive were deeper wall dives anyway and were limited by gas or NDL. The night dives at LCBR were probably the best I've ever had, don't know if these are offered at Pirates Point

In contrast, we did 22 dives with Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman the same year where dives are only limited by gas or NDL. The profiles are very similar and our average dive time was only a little longer at 67 minutes. I really don't think the dive duration at LCBR is limited in any substantial way.

Last edited:
I agree with scubadada, I've never felt rushed on LCBR Reef Divers boats. As long as you are in the water early, the dives are more defined by ND limits and gas remaining than by a DM watching the clock. The second and third dives each day are scheduled as 60 for 60, but if you are in early and out late, you can easily have a 75 minute dive without having anyone pissed off.

You do need to be reasonable and not try to stretch out your time if the second dive in the AM is a delayed start, recognizing that the boat needs to be back at lunch time.

It is to each their own. I was actually disappointed that LCBR only offered 3 dives per day and a couple of night dives per week. I would have appreciated 2 afternoon dives like they offer at Ocean Fontiers on Grand Cayman.

You can always go shore diving at Jackson's Reef and Wall. I find 3 wall dives per day plus a couple of night dives to be quite enough for a week in LC. I always seem to be near my NDC limits with that profile, even diving nitrox. It's not like the dive your brains out shallow diving on Bonaire.

All the places on LC are well thought but different in style so it's really a matter of personal preference. But I'll say what I always say - Feb is not that far off and lots of people like to escape the cold - it can't hurt to check on availability soon before you get to attached to the idea of one place or another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom