Little Cayman Daytrip from Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quetzal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thinking of doing a day trip to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac by air sometime between Nov 6 to 12th. Cost only $20.00.
Anyone who has ever been to Little Cayman, do you think I could get a couple dives in on the Wall or suggest another place for a shore dive. Can you rent tanks for shore diving on Little Cayman?
I know no flying and diving but I wouldn't think that a plane could get very much altitude on a 5 mile flight.
Alternatively is there ferry service between the 2 Islands? I don't think there is but thought I would ask.

There is no ferry that I am aware of. The inter-island flight will not guarantee that they will stay below 10,000.00 feet although they always do. The boat run between Brac and LC on a dive boat is about an hour if memory serves. The easiest way to do it would be to charter your own boat and DM for the run from Brac to LC. We did it for a couple days that way. It was expensive but a great experience.

You could do this I suppose as the plane reaches only 1,000 feet on this 7 min trip (though, as Tim says there's no guarantee they may not go higher). Rent a car from Perry's at the airport, get tanks & weights from the Beach resort or Sam's & do a couple of shore dives. Alternatively, the dive shops on the Brac do day trips to LCM quite often. No ferry - Shelby Scott on the Brac could take you over but he'd probably cost as much as a dive trip from one of the Brac operators.

QUETZAL:
Thinking of doing a day trip to Little Cayman from Cayman Brac by air sometime between Nov 6 to 12th. Cost only $20.00.
Anyone who has ever been to Little Cayman, do you think I could get a couple dives in on the Wall or suggest another place for a shore dive. Can you rent tanks for shore diving on Little Cayman?
I know no flying and diving but I wouldn't think that a plane could get very much altitude on a 5 mile flight.
Alternatively is there ferry service between the 2 Islands? I don't think there is but thought I would ask.

If you are diving at the Brac reef resort, I believe they go to LC once a week. You could get in a couple of dives if they do. Its about a 45 min. ride by boat. If it's really rough they don't go, but I've never had a whole week that they didn't go although I know it's happened. If it's really rough, you probably wouldn't want to dive anyway as when there's a northeaster blowing on the Brac, it's blowing on LC too and the north shore gets quite rough on LC (north shore is where BloodyBay wall and Jacksons Bight is). Call or e-mail the Brac reef and ask them if they are doing LC once a week.
I hope you have a blast.

You might want to look into your details as the cost to fly from brac to little, return is about 50 dollars. I also don't think the airline will take some one who has been diving within 12 hours as the plane is non pressurised and flys above 1,000 feet. Then put the cost of a car about $35, and tanks $10 per tank, and the hassel of finding the dive sites and all the other elements that make up a shore dive you might find it just as easy and cheap to go diving with one of the dive ops on the Brac. A two tank trip costs less than $100 pp and includes the trip there and back, two stunning dive sites, two informed dive brifings, water and fruit and of course the safety that comes with diving with pros.

I know what my choice would be.

Enjoy

golddigger:
You might want to look into your details as the cost to fly from brac to little, return is about 50 dollars. I also don't think the airline will take some one who has been diving within 12 hours as the plane is non pressurised and flys above 1,000 feet. Then put the cost of a car about $35, and tanks $10 per tank, and the hassel of finding the dive sites and all the other elements that make up a shore dive you might find it just as easy and cheap to go diving with one of the dive ops on the Brac. A two tank trip costs less than $100 pp and includes the trip there and back, two stunning dive sites, two informed dive brifings, water and fruit and of course the safety that comes with diving with pros.

I know what my choice would be.

Enjoy

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Thanks for your replies.
The reason I was thinking of doing it this way is because my wife, a non-diver, and our 3 month old daughter might like to tag along to Little Cayman.
The wall can be done as a shore dive right?

I've been to LC a number of times and love it. But if I was a non-diving wife with a 3year old I think I'd rather relax on the Brac and not go through the hassle, while you went on a boat day trip to LC. All things considered, I don't think what you're considering makes sense as a day trip. I wouldn't want to do it even as a diver.

Damselfish:
I've been to LC a number of times and love it. But if I was a non-diving wife with a 3year old I think I'd rather relax on the Brac and not go through the hassle, while you went on a boat day trip to LC. All things considered, I don't think what you're considering makes sense as a day trip. I wouldn't want to do it even as a diver.

I totally agree with Damselfish, It would be unfair to yourself and your family to try and take a 3 year old, and your wife on a flight (or boat) to LC and then you do a shore dive. The degree of difficulty is just too high. How are you planning on doing this shore dive on LC? Rent tanks from whom? It could maybe be done from Sam Mcoys but I'm not too sure they''ll rent you tanks.
Take the trip offered by the dive op you are diving with on the Brac, both Brac Reef resort and Divitiara go to LC every week. If you are not diving with a op on the Brac and you are staying on the northeast shore of the Brac, how do you plan on getting tanks as the dive ops are on the southwest end. I have done a couple of dives that could have been shore dives on the northeast end, it was at dive site#1 brothers? Not the best area for shore diving, but it could be done, I did it from a boat with divitiara. The time factor is too high in getting to the island (LC) for a day or from the northeast end of the Brac - getting tanks, and then shore diving.....solo?
I'm wishing you the best, but you are not thinking this through.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Back
Top Bottom