Little Cayman accommodations for snorkelers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spoobs

Registered
Reaction score
Any suggestions for best place to stay on Little Cayman for avid snorkelers? Any place located at or very near good shore snorkeling? Any recommendations for best snorkeling opportunities aboard their dive boats. We are considering Southern Cross and Little Cayman Beach Resort.

I can only speak for LCBR. You can snorkel right off the dock or you can kayak over to Owen Island to snorkel. In the past we have had non-divers go out on the boat with us and snorkel while we were diving. Those snorkeling loved the vis and could see us diving.

There really is not any snorkeling in front of any of the resorts.

Pirates Point would be the best option for that. It is the only resort not in the sound, so it has open ocean in front of it.

Assuming easy access is a must, the best snorkeling is at Point of Sand, but be careful of the tide. Next best snorkeling is on the north side in the marine park.

There are not any resorts at either location. All of the resorts are on the south side of the island.

The closest snorkeling on the south side is Preston Bay, which is a little bit west of Pirates Point. It can be shallow there at low tide.

There is not much of anything except grass in front of LCBR or Southern Cross.

Assuming you are capable of it, you can ride a bike to the north side and to Preston Bay, but Point of Sand is a hike, you can do it, but it is a hike. All the way at the east end of the island. It should take you at least 30 minutes, honestly likely more.

Hope that helps.

I love LC but if I were going someplace strictly as an avid snorkeler and wanted good convenient snorkeling I don't know that I'd go there.

If this is snorkelers stuck on someones dive trip, it's not too unusual for people to snorkel off the dive boat at LCBR. But it's shallow and grassy at the resort and in maybe 5 trips there I've never seen anyone bother to snorkel off the beach.

Kayaking to Owen island and snorkeling there might be a good option but I don't know what the snorkeling is like - we mean to check it out every trip as we like to kayak but still have never managed to fit it in. It would be a shorter paddle from SCC than LCBR. I've always heard Point of Sand is the best place to snorkel but since we can't seem to get out to Owen Island, we've certainly never made it to Point of Sand!

I have been to Little Cayman Beach Resort twice now. People snorkel off the boat. Generally the dive moorings have shallow water near the moorings. Usually you can find something that is 20' or less. The water clarity is really good.

Little Cayman Beach Resort fronts on a lagoon. It has a barrier reef that is a pretty fair distance from the dock. The lagoon seems to have mainly turtle grass. The barrier reef is shallow and would be great for snorkling if you felt like swimming that far. Now there are often sharks, sting rays and eagle rays in the lagoon so there is stuff to see. You might not see them often but they are there.

There are also kayaks and you can go and kayak to Owens Island. Or you could kayak the other direction and snorkel. Heck, you could even walk down the shore and get out of the lagoon and snorkel. There is shore access at a number of spots.

Little Cayman Beach Resort has good food and nice rooms. I would highly recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom