Little boat question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I dunno, maybe my warning about the possibility of rough conditions in the inlet, the admonition to stay close, the advice to observe and question locals, the multitude of weather and tide links I provided, the photographs of where and where not to go, the fall back locations INSIDE the inlet at the jetty and the bridge, the further dive locations to hire a professional, licensed skipper like yourself if he really wanted to explore offshore etc, I think that is what I am referring to.

I wasn't being particularly personal, I asked because I thought I had made my "qualifying" suggestions couched in sufficient warnings to make the OP plenty cautious without just plain out attempting to scare the s----t out of him by telling him to stencil his name and social security on his body, maybe I didn't write what I thought I did or something? (Rhetorical)

You know and so do I and I have a feeling the OP knows as well that little boat on big water can be scary and even deadly and your wise and sincere council I am sure the OP appreciates and I do too.

Enough banter, all y'all take care.

N

What is said above about going the Destin pass is right on....

going through the pass with an outgoing tide going into incoming waves can lead to a hairy ride. or coming back in that way can lead to a wave over the transom.

A boat that has a self bailing cockpit like the Boston Whaler would be a definate plus over a standard recreational inboard outboard ski boat. Even on a calm day on the ocean, the pass sucks a LOT of water through it, which can change conditions coming in/out.

I have found this book useful but not so much for Destin:

Florida Shipwrecks - Scuba Diving Book

N

Good book, but doesn't have all the dive sites on it. but good history book.

BTW... you can pic that book up direct from Michael Barnett for $11 bucks with shipping included now. see this thread. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/miscellaneous-items/278944-aue-getting-boat-sale.html

For better information about where to dive in Destin and other panhandle locations, I'd reccomend Ned DeLoaches books

I think he's currently on the 11th edition of it. (Note: not all the GPS numbers in it are 100% though, but that can be said for about any book/guide).

Amazon.com: Diving Guide to Underwater Florida, 11th Edition: Ned DeLoach: Books

I was just kidding about shooting the sharks -- that was for the softies. But I've never been underwater in the gulf. Honestly, I'm a little concerned about the bulls. You're not supposed to let them take your catch, are you?

More than anything, I appreciate the feedback. I've only been in the Atlantic Ocean and don't know what to expect. I've been reading and can see that there are nearshore wrecks, so I started to get exciting, thinking I can get there with my little dingy. I'm not planning on being careless -- never implied that I was. Just wanted to get some feedback from people who boat/dive in that area.

Is the one in this picture what you have? yours is even smaller if its a 15 footer.
iboats
I would not go out on the Great Lakes with this,let alone the Ocean , it is more suited to small inland lakes or rivers at the cottage .Sell it and buy a bigger boat.
Just my opinion, you do not have to take any advice here if you dont want to.

That is not what he has but it is a little bitty 15 footer.

We used to go out in a Boston Whaler 13 footer:

Lead_Front_5.jpg

In recent years I have been out to the Tug Louise and the Bridge Rubble in this:

DSCF0038-4.jpg

I bought one of these to replace a busted Achilles (shark bit it) circa 1984 and still have it, we have been offshore Keys, Destin out to the Liberty Ship, USS Mass in Pensacola and I think it was the Pete Tide there if I recall and tons of other places:

Untitled Document

We now use this trailerable BW Outrage:

P6150430.jpg

I like little boats, big is great but cannot tow a 40 footer from one coast to another, just don't have a Kenworth tractor trailer in the backyard. YRMV

Due caution must always be exercised when small boats go out on big water.

Bull sharks, you may see one, you may not see one. If they want your fish you give it to them. Whether you see a bull or not, be assured, they know you are there.

N

That old picture of you guys on the whaler is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

LOL, that is a water color painting I copied somewhere because it reminded me of past good times, the way it used to be. That is not really me and my brother there. It is just a "pretty" picture, I like the colors, lol, but I have to say, when I saw that water color, I thought it was us.

If you have a kayak you can launch straight from Henderson Beach Park to the Louise. Long ago we launched the Novurania here also but that may not be acceptable anymore. After diving you can toss a line and drift or paddle troll and catch some snakes (spanish mackerel) N

We now use this trailerable BW Outrage:

P6150430.jpg

that's a nice boat except for that LSU flag on the front of it ! :D

If you have a kayak you can launch straight from Henderson Beach Park to the Louise. Long ago we launched the Novurania here also but that may not be acceptable anymore. After diving you can toss a line and drift or paddle troll and catch some snakes (spanish mackerel) N

They just opened up a nice new beach access on old highway 98 (the 'old beach road' just east of Hutchison street.... might be a slight bit closer to the water line and closer paddle than from Henderson. FYI.

I've seen folks going out to the Miss Louise before in kayaks, but mostly fishermen. (but I'm sure divers do it some too... If I ever get a Yak that will hold dive gear, I'd do it).

You can see ScubaTech's boat (from shore) anchored on it out there several times a week

Yes, last year, Scuba Tech pulled off just as we pulled up and dropped anchor on the Louise. Shortly thereafter three kayaks came up and they were free dive spearing. They asked if they could tie up to my trailing line for a bit and I told them to make themselves at home. My wife was not happy however because we are both afeared as in skeeeeered of bull sharks, :wink:.

Two days earlier I saw them headed east. I put the hammer down and flew by them. I got to the Louise first and anchored up, they anchored up as we went in the water. So, as I pulled up the next day they were scowling at me like, beat you this time sucker, lol.

N

Take this pic as you wish, there are many quality small boat hulls out there and some that are not so good:

Whaler_vs_Wahoo.jpg

USCG regulations require all small craft to have flotation, apparently there is some interpretation regarding this regulation to this day, obviously some float better than others and there are several others who float as equally well. There are some brand new small craft that in fact will deep six. BTW, any boat can capsize (flip over). If your boat is upside down, that will be operator error I suspect regardless of what it is.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom