Lite Nitrox at 145

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everybody for chiming in on a lite nitrox at 145 . My main purpose is to stay a little more clear headed like when a three foot ling cod torpedos in your face then nitrogen narcosis comes into effect and the bumped up O2 may help .
Almost all gasses are narcotic to some extent so it's not just "nitrogen" narcosis. There's some evidence that oxygen might be less narcotic than nitrogen but no clear scientific consensus on the issue yet. And even if true, there's no practical difference between 21% and 26% oxygen from a narcosis standpoint.

The other factor that you seem to be neglecting is hypercapnia, including the narcotic effects of CO2. If you have to exert yourself to manage an emergency then CO2 can hit you like a ton of bricks at the worst possible moment; the effects are much stronger than nitrogen. Hence the importance of minimizing gas density to keep work of breathing within safe limits.

The fact that you would come to ScubaBoard to ask such a question indicates that you are unclear on the basics and were never trained for such dives by a competent instructor. I'm not trying to be a jerk here but you seriously need to a step back and rethink your plans before you hurt yourself. You don't even know what you don't know.

Who said you need a buddy? What’s wrong with solo diving? :p Trying to find a buddy on the boat is a lottery anyway.
The charter boat you want to take you there may very well insist on it for their own "liability." And their aren't that many charters left to pick from

I've been on the Moody a couple times and have an unfinished project to build a photogrammetry model of both sections (they are separated by a swimmable distance and there is generally a line between them).

A couple quick notes about the dive in case you aren't aware: it is usually relatively cold on the bottom (my last two dives were 52F and 55F) and visibility can be anywhere from 5 feet to 20-ish+ feet. My last dive on her was basically a night dive. It is also near a major shipping channel and can have some heavy currents (I know a very experienced diver that was on a scooter and got blown off the downline). Finally, there is not a permanent line on either section so it is a live drop and pickup.

My point being - if you aren't comfortable in those conditions (cold, limited vis, dark, currents), the lack of helium is not going to help. I know plenty of people that dive the USS Moody on air but they have been on that wreck probably 30+ times.

- brett

PS - Hopefully I'll finish my model this year. The conditions in SoCal are finally getting better. :)

The charter boat you want to take you there may very well insist on it for their own "liability." And their aren't that many charters left to pick from

Almost guaranteed. I don't know of any boats that go to the Moody on any published schedule which means either a private charter on a commercial boat or a friend with a boat suitable for diving.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing any commercial boat here in SoCal is going to want to know the diver before they take them to the Moody.

- brett

I've been on the Moody a couple times and have an unfinished project to build a photogrammetry model of both sections (they are separated by a swimmable distance and there is generally a line between them).

A couple quick notes about the dive in case you aren't aware: it is usually relatively cold on the bottom (my last two dives were 52F and 55F) and visibility can be anywhere from 5 feet to 20-ish+ feet. My last dive on her was basically a night dive. It is also near a major shipping channel and can have some heavy currents (I know a very experienced diver that was on a scooter and got blown off the downline). Finally, there is not a permanent line on either section so it is a live drop and pickup.

My point being - if you aren't comfortable in those conditions (cold, limited vis, dark, currents), the lack of helium is not going to help. I know plenty of people that dive the USS Moody on air but they have been on that wreck probably 30+ times.

- brett

PS - Hopefully I'll finish my model this year. The conditions in SoCal are finally getting better. :)
I read on scubaboard that this is a simple dive; up and down a line and requires near zero fitness. 😂

Tragically, people have died on the Moody, thinking it was no big deal to dive it on air. Underestimate it at your peril.

He asked for Nitrox mix, not Trimix. 145 feet is 45 metres. For wrecks of that depth in Sydney, I always use 26%.
If there is a hard bottom at 145 fsw, EAN26 would work for a recreational dive. If the bottom is deeper, I would go a bit leaner, but still plan for a 145 fsw dive.

rx7diver

That was my first dive on the Moody one week after the Darren Douglass and son tragedy . My friend John Lynch was looking for dead and bent diver gear while I stayed close to the anchor line . Over confidence played a major role in this accident only to retrieve a junkyard anchor fouled in the wreck . God bless their souls and angels to protect us all . Rumdumb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom