List your favorite Texas dive sites....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillP:
Clear Springs Scuba Park (http://www.clearspringsscubapark.com/) is a 22 acre spring fed lake (an old quarry, spring fed, but no outlet) just northeast of Terrell, Tx. near Dallas.
there's a sunken shark sculpture, a boat, and an old airplane fuselage (mock-up?) to swim thru for the appropriately trained and equipped.

You know that there is also a coffin hidden somewhere in there. See if you can find it. it took me forever

Blackhawk9898:
You know that there is also a coffin hidden somewhere in there. See if you can find it. it took me forever

I found the cofin last weekend. There was a line from the plaine to it.

Take Exit 191 off of I35 and go West. There is a blinking light at North Park road, turn left.

This is a Corps of Engineers park. Divers get in free Monday thru Thursday. Sorry I didn't ask what the cost was the other days.

When I got there the only other critter there was a Turkey Vulture hanging out in a dead tree. He watched me suit up then left. It was an overcast day with an air temp of about 84*F. The water temp was about 82 or so.

Plenty of covered picnic tables and a few stuffed under trees. I don't recall porta potties or a restroom, but I wasn't really looking for one either.

I made about a 30 min dive with a max depth of 40 feet. I found a nice ledge to drop over. Plenty of over hangs and protrusions. I saw channel cats, sun fish, bass, and a first for me, a carp. The carp wasn't doing anything to improve the 3-10' vis. I did also find a car and a boat.

I surfaced as a class was about to get in. The instructor told me of some platforms and other stuff that her shop had dropped out there.

I also found someones rescue dummy, or the lower half of it. I must admit I was a little rattled at first when I realized I was looking at a human leg. I poked at it a little before I realized it was fake. It had been there awhile.

Flags are mandatory out here. I was warned that tensions between divers and boaters are getting bad and eveyone is being treated the same. Get caught breaking the rules and you receive a citation. The dive site is bouyed off with no wake zone bouys, but thats it.

TwoBit

Yep! plus stetson,a rig in blue water,va fogg,liberty ships. But better yet if you are in TX Coz is real close by plane.

dailywarren:
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/8215/dive_tx.html

Geez, no one listed the Valhalla missile silo! 130' visibility, open year round, buried treasure (sure, it glows a radioactive green but what the hey!). :sick:
Mmmm, that's good fallout!

I've heard there is a silo in the panhandle and another out by Abilene. When I come back to Texas I was planning on visiting one.

I'm surprised no one mentioned New Braunfels. I haven't been there before but it is suposed to be nice, although shallow.

Back
Top Bottom